Satsuki azealea cultivars

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi hope everyone is doing well. Questions about the Satsuki azealeas.
What is the most common cultivar for bonsai
What are some rare ones?
What are y’all’s favorites?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here are 400 answers :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are some rare ones?
What are y’all’s favorites?
These questions could literally fill books (and have). Don't know if they have straightforward answers.

I've been trying to slowly enter the satsuki world over the last few years. It's complex and full of hard work and can be expensive.

FWIW, you have to kind of decide where you want to go. Some folks just like having whips with flowers. That's great. There are so many varieties, literally thousands, this approach can be pretty satisfying. It's very hard to pick one favorite, or even a dozen favorites or find a common one among bonsai/satsuki enthusiasts. There are distinctions among varieties based on flower type, "tube in tube," double, "semi-double," "single hose in hose," "spider," and on and on...FWIW, some varieties are pretty close in appearance and marking with distinctions made, say, by which side of a flower is orange and which have large or small spots---and only experts can tell them apart...Which is part of the attraction.

Other people want the "bonsai experience" and opt for more developed trunks to hold those flowers. This can be pretty expensive and time-consuming and a pain in the ass, so naturally, it's the path I chose. It offers a twist on just "plain old bonsai" because you're working on a tree-ish image, but also a scaffolding to hold flowers.

Care for both approaches is complicated, as to keep in top shape, satsuki require specialized, timed care from repotting to pruning. Forget, or don't bother, to prune correctly in the right season and blossoms may be iffy or not even happen...There are literally a shelf-full of books about this.

I currently have two imported azaleas that were grown specifically for "bonsai." There is an entire industry in Japan for growing out satsuki for bonsai...I have a shiro ebisu and a Hinomaru. Both are developed plants I got from importers. Since I have them, they're my favorite cultivars. 😁

"Rare" is relative in the U.S. "Available" is more in line with reality. It's a crap shoot for what is available and depends on who's doing cuttings or importing.

Attachments

• shiroebisu.jpg
    shiroebisu.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 30
  • hinomaru1.jpg
    hinomaru1.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 29

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Here are 400 answers :)

Lol

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
These questions could literally fill books (and have). Don't know if they have straightforward answers.

I've been trying to slowly enter the satsuki world over the last few years. It's complex and full of hard work and can be expensive.

FWIW, you have to kind of decide where you want to go. Some folks just like having whips with flowers. That's great. There are so many varieties, literally thousands, this approach can be pretty satisfying. It's very hard to pick one favorite, or even a dozen favorites or find a common one among bonsai/satsuki enthusiasts. There are distinctions among varieties based on flower type, "tube in tube," double, "semi-double," "single hose in hose," "spider," and on and on...FWIW, some varieties are pretty close in appearance and marking with distinctions made, say, by which side of a flower is orange and which have large or small spots---and only experts can tell them apart...Which is part of the attraction.

Other people want the "bonsai experience" and opt for more developed trunks to hold those flowers. This can be pretty expensive and time-consuming and a pain in the ass, so naturally, it's the path I chose. It offers a twist on just "plain old bonsai" because you're working on a tree-ish image, but also a scaffolding to hold flowers.

Care for both approaches is complicated, as to keep in top shape, satsuki require specialized, timed care from repotting to pruning. Forget, or don't bother, to prune correctly in the right season and blossoms may be iffy or not even happen...There are literally a shelf-full of books about this.

I currently have two imported azaleas that were grown specifically for "bonsai." There is an entire industry in Japan for growing out satsuki for bonsai...I have a shiro ebisu and a Hinomaru. Both are developed plants I got from importers. Since I have them, they're my favorite cultivars. 😁

"Rare" is relative in the U.S. "Available" is more in line with reality. It's a crap shoot for what is available and depends on who's doing cuttings or importing.
Those are amazing! I’ll look up the flowers on them. Sounds like I need to order more books

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are amazing! I’ll look up the flowers on them. Sounds like I need to order more books
Here are a few:

THere are loads of Japanese language satsuki books as well

FWIW, the latest satsuki bonsai book is on the brink of being published. This is probably the first comprehensive English-language satsuki development/care book published in quite a while. I bought the hinomaru azalea from its author (Rick Garcia) in-person this past spring. He showed me gallies of his book then. It's a good one...FWIW, John Naka wrote a good English language satsuki book a very long time ago. It's well over $100 online if you can find a copy.

Below are the Hinomaru flowers. "Hinomaru" is a nickname for the Japanese flag...

Attachments

• hinomaru5.jpg
    hinomaru5.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 25

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Here are a few:

THere are loads of Japanese language satsuki books as well

FWIW, the latest satsuki bonsai book is on the brink of being published. This is probably the first comprehensive English-language satsuki development/care book published in quite a while. I bought the hinomaru azalea from its author (Rick Garcia) in-person this past spring. He showed me gallies of his book then. It's a good one...FWIW, John Naka wrote a good English language satsuki book a very long time ago. It's well over $100 online if you can find a copy.

Below are the Hinomaru flowers. "Hinomaru" is a nickname for the Japanese flag...
I see the flag, thanks for those book suggestions I’ll look them up.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last edited:

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Answer is, 'Osakazuki'.
See here for the data:

The rarest cannot really be answered. There must be many cultivars for which there are either 1 or 0 bonsai.
My favorite for bonsai, maybe right now would be 'Banri no Kirameki' ('Jukokan' sport).

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

Where do you get yours from? I like the hinomaru. Or any suggestions for places to source Satsuki from. Thank you

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Answer is, 'Osakazuki'.
See here for the data:

The rarest cannot really be answered. There must be many cultivars for which there are either 1 or 0 bonsai.
My favorite for bonsai, maybe right now would be 'Banri no Kirameki' ('Jukokan' sport).
Ty for this!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do you get yours from? I like the hinomaru. Or any suggestions for places to source Satsuki from. Thank you
There are a few sources in the U.S. who import. There is also a thread here on B'nut about ordering from Japan which looks promising.

FYI, The thing about any bonsai imports, including azalea, is they have to be quarantined two years before they can be brought into the U.S. Importers typically handle the importation paperwork and quarantine, some with quarantine facilities in this country, or in Japan. From what I understand the site selling in Japan direct to the U.S. has a quarantine facility there and the plants on sale have already undergone the isolation process. @Bob Hunter might be able to help...as I think he's bought from them...From what I understand, You still have to apply for a phytosanitary certificate from USDA/APHIS to get the plant from that supplier--that process isn't as complicated, but it's a required step.

Also the quarantine/importation process involves barerooting the tree and fumigating the roots. That can take a toll on the plants. Some are killed by it. All that means prices can pretty impressive for imported satsuki, there's some sticker shock involved. The more developed the trunk, the more intense the shock. 😁

I got the Hinomaru from Rick Garcia at the North American Satsuki Bonsai Center. Rick is very knowledgeable on satsuki having learned in Japan. He imports regularly, but isn't around until the fall.

I got the Shiro Ebisu from David Kreutz in Ohio. He's also very good and has been importing for quite some time.

Here's the link to the thread on buying from Japan direct:

and the link to the seller

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is a lot of good advice here that will take time to digest. So I will highlight a couple things to think about.

IMHO a beginning hobbyist’s ability to get their horticulture down so a satsuki bonsai can make it through a year safely should be a prime concern before purchasing an expensive bonsai. It is better to acquire a number of cheaper plants, get your system down so these survive, then move up to bigger and better. Your area tends to be wetter, so preventing fungal issues might be your biggest challenge….

In other words, better to lose a $50/100.00 satsuki because you didnt have things mostly nailed down, then a $2500.00 one. More experienced non azalea hobbyists…. well its more like learning how to drive a much newer model car…​

Satsukis are only one subset of evergreen azaleas. There are many more. Kurumes are another group that tend to flower earlier.

Satsuki’s can bloom over a period of three months. Some folks pick satsuki’s to have a wide span of blooming times, others want all to bloom at once.

When considering buying younger, and then developing azalea, there are a couple considerations to think about. Hardiness vs your area. Growth habit (Tall, wide, dwarf, ground creeping etc) Leaf size and flower size. The leaf and flower size in a perfect world should match the final size of the azalea.

I tend to lean toward hardy small/mid single flower, small to mid leaf satsuki as the frilly doubles or semi double flowers don’t tend last as long if rained on and we have plenty of spring rain out here… also the longer leaved plants tend to hold moisture longer… thus fungus.​

The popular, older, established satsuki cultivars as per @Glaucus list above are such for multiple reasons. They all tend to have known, tried and true attributes that make each desirable to a really discriminating group of people that know satsuki.

Also these older cultivars tend to be ‘hardier’ then the newer cultivars….For example Osakazuki is an old, tried and true cultivar. Hino Maru a relatively new cultivar. Not that you should be discouraged against acquiring newer cultivars, just be aware these, at this point in time, tend to be finickier.

cheers and good luck!
DSD sends

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is a lot of good advice here that will take time to digest. So I will highlight a couple things to think about.

IMHO a beginning hobbyist’s ability to get their horticulture down so a satsuki bonsai can make it through a year safely should be a prime concern before purchasing an expensive bonsai. It is better to acquire a number of cheaper plants, get your system down so these survive, then move up to bigger and better. Your area tends to be wetter, so preventing fungal issues might be your biggest challenge….
+... have mastered the techniques of how to maintain an azalea. If you can't, then after one year your beautiful azalea will not look good either 🙈
I've killed my first two garden center azalea's in the contest. I'm now trying to master a third one and learn the proper techniques on it.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There are a few sources in the U.S. who import. There is also a thread here on B'nut about ordering from Japan which looks promising.

FYI, The thing about any bonsai imports, including azalea, is they have to be quarantined two years before they can be brought into the U.S. Importers typically handle the importation paperwork and quarantine, some with quarantine facilities in this country, or in Japan. From what I understand the site selling in Japan direct to the U.S. has a quarantine facility there and the plants on sale have already undergone the isolation process. @Bob Hunter might be able to help...as I think he's bought from them...From what I understand, You still have to apply for a phytosanitary certificate from USDA/APHIS to get the plant from that supplier--that process isn't as complicated, but it's a required step.

Also the quarantine/importation process involves barerooting the tree and fumigating the roots. That can take a toll on the plants. Some are killed by it. All that means prices can pretty impressive for imported satsuki, there's some sticker shock involved. The more developed the trunk, the more intense the shock. 😁

I got the Hinomaru from Rick Garcia at the North American Satsuki Bonsai Center. Rick is very knowledgeable on satsuki having learned in Japan. He imports regularly, but isn't around until the fall.

I got the Shiro Ebisu from David Kreutz in Ohio. He's also very good and has been importing for quite some time.

Here's the link to the thread on buying from Japan direct:

and the link to the seller
🥺🥺 thanks!! I just found out about the plant certificate and the process earlier today, but thanks for laying all this out.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

In other words, better to lose a $50/100.00 satsuki because you didnt have things mostly nailed down, then a $2500.00 one. More experienced non azalea hobbyists…. well its more like learning how to drive a much newer model car…​

Satsukis are only one subset of evergreen azaleas. There are many more. Kurumes are another group that tend to flower earlier.

Satsuki’s can bloom over a period of three months. Some folks pick satsuki’s to have a wide span of blooming times, others want all to bloom at once.

When considering buying younger, and then developing azalea, there are a couple considerations to think about. Hardiness vs your area. Growth habit (Tall, wide, dwarf, ground creeping etc) Leaf size and flower size. The leaf and flower size in a perfect world should match the final size of the azalea.

I tend to lean toward hardy small/mid single flower, small to mid leaf satsuki as the frilly doubles or semi double flowers don’t tend last as long if rained on and we have plenty of spring rain out here… also the longer leaved plants tend to hold moisture longer… thus fungus.​

The popular, older, established satsuki cultivars as per @Glaucus list above are such for multiple reasons. They all tend to have known, tried and true attributes that make each desirable to a really discriminating group of people that know satsuki.

Also these older cultivars tend to be ‘hardier’ then the newer cultivars….For example Osakazuki is an old, tried and true cultivar. Hino Maru a relatively new cultivar. Not that you should be discouraged against acquiring newer cultivars, just be aware these, at this point in time, tend to be finickier.

cheers and good luck!
DSD sends
Most def getting 50-150$ Cultivars. You’re right about learning to care for them first before going after the rare ones. Should be able to find some base on recommendation so far

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
+... have mastered the techniques of how to maintain an azalea. If you can't, then after one year your beautiful azalea will not look good either 🙈
I've killed my first two garden center azalea's in the contest. I'm now trying to master a third one and learn the proper techniques on it.
Third is the charm, let’s go!!

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Most def getting 50-150$ Cultivars. You’re right about learning to care for them first before going after the rare ones. Should be able to find some base on recommendation so far

For bonsai, cultivars don't determine the price. But of course the cultivar needs to be older than the bonsai itself.
For young plants/whips/training material/cuttings, new cultivars can be double the price. A new cultivar has to come from a single plant. And many enthusiasts may want to collect and try the newest hip cultivar. So demand will be larger than supply. But this is kinda how things in Japan are. In the US, you just but what you can find.

As someone who came into plants/gardening fresh with an interest in azalea and bonsai, it makes sense to first spend years on growing your species of interest and get the horticulture down.
Of course, if you are really serious about bonsai and starting out, you just try everything all at once, as long as you can afford it.
No one interested in say pine bonsai or maple bonsai is going to start an amateur pine or maple nursery, and produce a whole bunch of garden plants.

Then for satsuki another question is, do you nerd out on the satsuki cultivar? Or do you want to train and/or maintain a bonsai that just happens to be an azalea. Or both?
I do think that getting a couple of 5 to 8 year old satsuki bonsai imported from Japan would be good training. However, they can already get quite pricey.
Mr Shibue/SatsukiMania likely has a couple of these he can export to the US, besides the 1000+ USD bonsai listed on his webshop.
Getting a wired-up trunk where you can start by developing the foliage pads kind of from scratch would be good training.
I would say there is no reason to avoid rare/new cultivars. Those most popular for bonsai are 1) old, so plenty of old material out there 2) have good plant habit.
There is a plant habit focused vs flower-focused axis, where most new azaleas are more flower-focused. This is because it makes more sense to breed new varieties for their flowers rather than for their bonsai plant habit. However, there are also some more plant-habit modest-flowering new varieties out there.
I would say something that grows vigorously is ideal for beginners. Say, Korin.
I don't have 'Osakazuki' myself nor interested in getting it. If you planted 100,000 landscaping shrubs of 'Osakazuki' all across Japan back in 1920, then of course you see a lot of 'Osakazuki' bonsai today.
It is also kind of the most plain form of satsuki azalea, which means it is a really good selection considering plant habit and durability.

For younger plants, many people that can grow azaleas fine lack the growth season to see results with azaleas fast.
I have a plant I bought as a nursery plant more than 10 years ago. I am still growing it out in the ground. Now, it has about a thumb thick trunk.
In Japan, they seem to be able to get the same growth in about 8 years.
Now that I am growing many many seedlings, +3000-plus, there seems to be a thing about azaleas where they have some general health. If they are healthy, they grow and perform fine.
If they are not healthy, they can become healthy, but stay kind of stagnant for a few years, lacking vigorous growth.
And if they are in a sort of limbo between 'not healthy' and 'kind of healthy but stagnant', it is often not clear which direction they are moving.
Probably, most bonsai subjects are like this.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, I wholeheartedly agree about learning how to care for them first. It takes some time. I killed a few ten years ago, not the expensive ones, but smaller cheaper ones. My initial post was trying to give you a look at what you're after. It's a multi-faceted world of it's own.

Top Bottom