Satsuki Azelea help

MrFox

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was given this Azelea, when it arrived it was nice and green. I did not do the potting but it seems like it is done correctly. I have been good about watering it, it drains rapidly, but it has some little green balls in the soil which I believe are slow release fertilizer?

Anyhow it has started to have the leaves turn spotty dark colors, eventually drying and becoming brittle. I see no evidence of root rot as far as I can tell. Here are some leaf pics, I am hoping someone can help me here, our daughter adores this little “tree” and I want to give it a fighting chance!

Attachments

• 17E6AA6E-8F06-49A5-A8B7-C1F7BC0D32ED.jpeg
    17E6AA6E-8F06-49A5-A8B7-C1F7BC0D32ED.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 5491F7A2-14CF-4D35-9EE9-184CA456CCE3.jpeg
    5491F7A2-14CF-4D35-9EE9-184CA456CCE3.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 589CDE33-538F-4636-894E-FE2BCFED83C0.jpeg
    589CDE33-538F-4636-894E-FE2BCFED83C0.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 76EAFA74-78D1-4D97-BD75-E4599E4D143F.jpeg
    76EAFA74-78D1-4D97-BD75-E4599E4D143F.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 68

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The dried out leaves are a sign it didn't enough water at one point and it dried out too much. Please update your location and zone so we can start to help you.

The green balls are Osmocote or something similar not usually a big problem. Where did the tree come from? Can you give us a "full body" shot of the tree? What are the soil components? What about the location where you are placing? ...these questions just to start. The good news is most azalea are pretty resilient and can usually bounce back with the right care.

MrFox

Seedling
Reaction score
The plant came as a gift from Bonsai Outlet. I am in Maine, and the plant sits in a roofed windowed porch, south facing, which has windows open almost all the time. It gets fairly direct through the window sun from about 11-1, rest of time it’s a light room, but not direct.

I am not sure about the soil, it’s feels loose and a bit gritty, any water in the pot flows out very quickly. It is wired in with what looks like an aluminum wire.

I definitely did let it get dry once for probably a 2 day period about 12 days ago. Since then I have been watering daily, but I check the soil by sticking my finger in it, thus far the soil has always been fairly dry each day when I water it (not dry like when I neglected to water it). I was worried about keeping it too wet.

I am not putting the pot in the sink and soaking it- I am using a small watering can and water the soil evenly until the drip tray below has filled up.

I am 100% new to this and am probably doing something wrong - actually I’m sure I am as it went from super bright green to a kind of not as bright green overall. Lots of leaves have started with those dark splotches and then dried up so they break off, or seem to have just dried up.

My daughter collected some moss from our yard and we placed that on the soil, covers about half of the surface. I’m not sure if that effects anything.

Any advice or correction as to my care is greatly appreciated. I love the trunk on this plant, I think it’s a beautiful little tree and I would love to keep it happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 50

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Azaleas hate to dry out. You can damage the roots by letting them dry out. Even once. Since the water is running out fast I wouldn’t worry about watering twice a day. Good luck.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The plant came as a gift from Bonsai Outlet. I am in Maine, and the plant sits in a roofed windowed porch, south facing, which has windows open almost all the time. It gets fairly direct through the window sun from about 11-1, rest of time it’s a light room, but not direct.

I am not sure about the soil, it’s feels loose and a bit gritty, any water in the pot flows out very quickly. It is wired in with what looks like an aluminum wire.

I definitely did let it get dry once for probably a 2 day period about 12 days ago. Since then I have been watering daily, but I check the soil by sticking my finger in it, thus far the soil has always been fairly dry each day when I water it (not dry like when I neglected to water it). I was worried about keeping it too wet.

I am not putting the pot in the sink and soaking it- I am using a small watering can and water the soil evenly until the drip tray below has filled up.

I am 100% new to this and am probably doing something wrong - actually I’m sure I am as it went from super bright green to a kind of not as bright green overall. Lots of leaves have started with those dark splotches and then dried up so they break off, or seem to have just dried up.

My daughter collected some moss from our yard and we placed that on the soil, covers about half of the surface. I’m not sure if that effects anything.

Any advice or correction as to my care is greatly appreciated. I love the trunk on this plant, I think it’s a beautiful little tree and I would love to keep it happy.
I am not feeling that soil- like looks like too much compost for such a shallow pot. I have never tried growing Satsuki indoors. Watering is not an easy skill to learn right away. I suspect if you try watering it the way you normally water and you popped the tree out of the pot you would find the water isn't drenching the whole root ball. They need to be completely and thoroughly soaked- so if that's outside on the lawn or patio or in the sink so you can thoroughly soak it, you should do this every time you water or you just get really a stream of water that finds the same channel out the bottom but never reaches much of the rest of the root ball. The moss probably isn't an issue now, but if you keep it indoors it's probably not good longer term. The good news is their is back-budding- Satsuki will back-bud frequently on old wood... but really you gotta put a lot more time in with the horticulture practices and honestly expect to kill a few trees. How about a local bonsai club? Anything near you to start learning the basics?

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
...Also what Zone are you? Maine is ya know... cold or really cold and that will make difference with how you treat this guy and the techniques to keep him alive in winter.

MrFox

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ll do the soaking- it’s a good point about actually getting the root ball soaked. It always seems like the plant is dry, and usually the simplest answer is the right one...

It does get cold, but I’m hoping if I keep this thing on the porch where the ficus has been happy for years it will be ok. It never freezes but gets cool in the winter. We shall see.

I’ll try the better watering- how soon should I look for a sign of improved health?

Thanks everyone.

Matt

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ll do the soaking- it’s a good point about actually getting the root ball soaked. It always seems like the plant is dry, and usually the simplest answer is the right one...

It does get cold, but I’m hoping if I keep this thing on the porch where the ficus has been happy for years it will be ok. It never freezes but gets cool in the winter. We shall see.

I’ll try the better watering- how soon should I look for a sign of improved health?

Thanks everyone.

Matt
Awesome, if it doesn’t freeze you might be in good shape. Try to keep it away from walls or fencing etc. Give us literally air space. If it is green and healthy next spring we so it’s first haircut or repot in early spring- repotting seems to be the cliff to jump off where you begin to a bonsai journey... folks that don’t get comfortable with repotting will see a slow decline- even with the best care with everything else. Local club would again be the best place to start.

MrFox

Seedling
Reaction score
Awesome, if it doesn’t freeze you might be in good shape. Try to keep it away from walls or fencing etc. Give us literally air space. If it is green and healthy next spring we so it’s first haircut or repot in early spring- repotting seems to be the cliff to jump off where you begin to a bonsai journey... folks that don’t get comfortable with repotting will see a slow decline- even with the best care with everything else. Local club would again be the best place to start.

Thanks for the help! I had a small cedar bonsai a long time ago that I kept until I moved and had gave it to my brother- but the azelea I have been rather intimidated by. I suppose some of the issues will be the same in terms of remembering this is not a potted plant. My fear of too moist definitely led me in the wrong direction! I will look for a local club so I can get some experience.

Do you think I should leave the soil alone for now until it is less stressed or get it into something better asap?

Is 100% Kanuma the way to go with these or should I cut that with something?

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Satsuki can be intimidating sure- but I think you will find once you "get to know them" they are probably the easiest species and rewarding species to have. Most of my collection is actually Satsuki- a couple hundred now- many are starts with a few "show" trees that I have picked up over the years. Don't feel bad if you kill it though. It's frankly how some of us have to learn early on.

I don't think the soil is likely a big of a problem now as is getting the watering right. Kanuma seems to be best for me- but honestly there are many different substrates I have seen where azaleas grow quite healthy- but having the some substrate that is good for the very fine roots- now many folks early on over due that advice and go too small of particle size or don't add a drainage layer or don't sift the fines out- etc. Many considerations for the container shape/size/material- but this will come with time and observance of the soil and conditions as you water. Over time it seems to be second nature where you will just know.

For now I would stay on the watering and see how the tree responds over the next few weeks. You can go ahead and cut off the dead ends of the leaves as they aren't doing anything, but being unsightly.

MrFox

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone- turns out the poor little azelea had mealy bugs sucking the life out of it. I have gone over the plant carefully now for a three day period removing them with tweezers and have pruned off anything dead. Plant is sprouting new little leaf buds all over, so I am hopeful that will cure the issue. Any thoughts if I should spray with an insecticidal soap or alcohol? Maybe just leave it be and remove any of the little fiends if I see them?

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everyone- turns out the poor little azelea had mealy bugs sucking the life out of it. I have gone over the plant carefully now for a three day period removing them with tweezers and have pruned off anything dead. Plant is sprouting new little leaf buds all over, so I am hopeful that will cure the issue. Any thoughts if I should spray with an insecticidal soap or alcohol? Maybe just leave it be and remove any of the little fiends if I see them?
I would spray the tree off with the hose outside again and then spray the tree with insecticidal soap afterwards if you still notice them. But I would bet the watering is still likely the cause of most of the symptoms presented- so don't back off the methods discussed to ensure even water distribution in the container. Either way, long term you should have a plan for the tree to remain outside- with all protections needed for winter in your zone. I haven't seen any Satsuki thrive indoors- even in a sunroom. It is usually a slow death for those that have tried. Don't want you to be discouraged longer term. They usually do okay for about a year and then like all, they eventually fail.

MrFox

Seedling
Reaction score
I am 100% sticking to the proper watering methods- definitely is helping. Our screened in porch has the windows always open, it’s the same temp and wind as being out in our yard in the shade- but I will definitely move outdoors if it does not continue the current trend of new leaf buds and looking happy.

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated!

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool, keep us updated and let us know if you have any other challenges.

Top Bottom