Satsuki Bonsai book by Janine Droste

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone read this book? Just wondering if it is any good or worth the $45-$50. It looks decent in the glossy 1-page add in Bonsai Focus, but I woudl rather get some additional information before purchasing. In the same vein if there are any other good Satsuki books you could recommend, please do.

Thanks,

Chris

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Floral Treasures of Japan" Arthur Kennedy is great,
"Satsuki Azaleas" by Bob Callaham is also good and deals with azalea as bonsai in depth.

I have both and both are pretty thorough in care. Both are out of print, but you can find copies online--Stone Lantern has the Callaham book for $30 or so. I found the Kennedy book online for about the same price.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Buy the kennedy one on ebay. You can get it for $.01 and about $8 for shipping. I did.

jonathan

Sapling
Reaction score
I've just bought the book and got it in the mail this week. I can say that it's definatly worth it's price.

chapter 1: as usual style explanation.

chapter 2: general care instructions.

chapter 3: amazing galarie

chapter 4: month to month care guide.

chapter 5: in depth style guide on pre bonsai.(--> going from good raw nursery stock to good bonsai).

I would compare this as an updated / modern version of Bonsai techniques for Satsuki by Naka, Oka and Rokkaku. Seeing she also used it as base study material.

Top Bottom