satsuki bonsai book

RONZOG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Can anyone recommend a good book on Satsuki Azalea Bonsai? The one I saw recommended by Robert Callaham from stone lantern is out of print a guess and used are out of my price range.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can anyone recommend a good book on Satsuki Azalea Bonsai? The one I saw recommended by Robert Callaham from stone lantern is out of print a guess and used are out of my price range.

If you do eBay...put it in your watch to be notified when new ones are listed. Sometimes they go there at a decent price. Also...sometimes sold on Bonsia Auctions on FB. Also go to Bonsai Sales another FB group and inquire that your looking for one. You may find one for a decent price there...if one is not wanting theirs. I have the one from Stone Lantern. It's a good book.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just nabbed a very good copy of the Callaham book on Amazon for $120. It was being sold by The Friends of the Transylvania County Library. It is a gold mine of information. I’m also waiting for a copy of Galle’s ‘Azaleas’, which Callahan cites as being a valuable resource. I was able to find a copy of the revised and enlarged edition for $50.
There is also some goniff on Amazon asking a thousand bucks for a hardcover copy of Callaham.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Email Stone Lantern about wanting a copy of the Callaham book. As to reserve a copy when it comes in. Stone Lantern regularly has a book reprinted when there is enough demand. They have had other books in the past reprinted, let them know, and if enough others do also, they may have the book reprinted.

In my opinion, it is the best azalea book in English, for USA or North American growers. Although R. Callaham grew azalea in California, and one needs to take that into account when looking at his calendar for timing of when to perform techniques.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've seen this book for sale at several online seller sites in that $180-1,800 range. I wonder if the sellers asking many hundreds of dollars ever actually sell a copy of it?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Of the three Satsuki Azalea books, Callaham's is best. _Floral Treasures of Japan_ is good as well. There is nothing covered in Naka's _BT for Satsuki_ that isn't covered in the other two. (If you're feeling adventurous, you might can find Kysouke Gun's book on Satsuki. Its all in Japanese, ...but the pictures are in English. I don't have that particular one yet, but I've got a handful of the others in that set.)

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Of the three Satsuki Azalea books, Callaham's is best. _Floral Treasures of Japan_ is good as well. There is nothing covered in Naka's _BT for Satsuki_ that isn't covered in the other two. (If you're feeling adventurous, you might can find Kysouke Gun's book on Satsuki. Its all in Japanese, ...but the pictures are in English. I don't have that particular one yet, but I've got a handful of the others in that set.)
Thanks for that reference. I found a copy of 'Floral Treasures' on line today, and it's coming to live at my house.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got my copy of Galle in the mail today. It's a great reference book for the various cultivars and their history, but the section on bonsai is like, maybe, three pages. If I could do it over, I'd put the money toward a nice tree...which I just might do in Sacramento next week. I'm wondering if Mr. Maruyama might have a nice hinomaru.....?

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got my copy of Galle in the mail today. It's a great reference book for the various cultivars and their history, but the section on bonsai is like, maybe, three pages. If I could do it over, I'd put the money toward a nice tree...which I just might do in Sacramento next week. I'm wondering if Mr. Maruyama might have a nice hinomaru.....?
I don’t think Yuzo has that variety, but it’s been a couple years since I’ve been there. He has some amazing trees. Curious how you would plan on getting a tree back home with you?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was there the first week of May, and bought a kongetsu and an eiga-no-hamari. We took them to FedEx and found out it would be $300 to pack and ship them home two-day air. So instead we wrapped them in cling film, lifting the branches up and inward as we went. Then a couple of layers of bubble wrap, and a wrapping with packing tape. We put them in a plastic tote bag and they were carry-on luggage. I lost one, one inch twiglet a couple of millimeters thick on the kongetsu, but otherwise they came through unscathed.
When the bag went through the scanner at security, the guy manning the scanner called out, “Who’s doing the bonsai? These are really cool trees!”
7DC52BA6-AA6D-4588-8C52-16CB29F9CC68.jpeg780747B4-DF2A-45EC-967D-102FAB250F45.jpeg

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was there the first week of May, and bought a kongetsu and an eiga-no-hamari. We took them to FedEx and found out it would be $300 to pack and ship them home two-day air. So instead we wrapped them in cling film, lifting the branches up and inward as we went. Then a couple of layers of bubble wrap, and a wrapping with packing tape. We put them in a plastic tote bag and they were carry-on luggage. I lost one, one inch twiglet a couple of millimeters thick on the kongetsu, but otherwise they came through unscathed.
When the bag went through the scanner at security, the guy manning the scanner called out, “Who’s doing the bonsai? These are really cool trees!”
That's great! Yuzo is awesome. I'm glad security gave you no hassle. I had friend's that have had trees intercepted and "destroyed" by some acronym state agency doing postal inspections.

Top Bottom