Satsuki Bonsai Club show in Orange County

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi all, there is a cool bonsai show this weekend (8/9-8/10) at the Bao Quang Buddhist Temple in Santa Ana. The address is 713 N. Newhope St., Santa Ana, CA. From 10am to 4 pm on Saturday and Sunday. Free admission.
Hope to see some BNuts there :)

Here's a picture from last night's set up before the show:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si,
What a pity! I can not make it there! Please take lot of pictures if you could. Thanks.
Bonhe

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
a plea for TOTAL coverage

I couldn't help myself for making this request, following the previous post requesting coverage. So I hope others agree with me and we can turn things around.

I've noticed in the past up to the present, coverage of a bonsai show seems to strictly focus in on the bonsai.
As someon who puts a great deal of time, studying the subtlties of kusamono, suiseki, tenpai and accompanying scroll, I'd like to be able to see what the owner of the tree decided to use
to highlight their work.
So many videos show the table overall, then focus in on the tree, then move on to the next. You never really get a good look at the other items. I think if it's important enough for the owner to
take time to make a statement, then the photographer should do likewise to capture the essence of the display. Yep, would definetely take more time and effort.So I make my plea again as if a dalmation ( or for Si, a bekko) could or would change their spots. or in this situation, their way of doing things . Not to single anyone out specifically but to bring attention to something that seems to be pervasive and needs to be changed.
:)

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I took photos of all 29 trees at this show.

Is it kosher to post 29 attachments? If not, I could put them all in a gallery on my blog and link to that.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Everything is kosher here! Post them! We'd love to see them!
Of course, put them to your own blog too, so we can check out your blog. Is your blog about bonsai?

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics with us Michael. There were some really cool trees there.
They had professional pictures taken of each tree before the show and they plan to put it on the next GSBF newsletter. So we'll see better pics of these trees on the GSBF newsletter or website soon.

I only took a few pictures of the show when we were setting it up. Here's a shot of my Chinese elm from a phone camera.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I had another tree there. This is an Australian brush cherry. It was just about to bloom, but unfortunately, it did not bloom until right after the show. I just didn't time it well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's the brush cherry in bloom the next day after the show.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I couldn't help myself for making this request, following the previous post requesting coverage. So I hope others agree with me and we can turn things around.

I've noticed in the past up to the present, coverage of a bonsai show seems to strictly focus in on the bonsai.
As someon who puts a great deal of time, studying the subtlties of kusamono, suiseki, tenpai and accompanying scroll, I'd like to be able to see what the owner of the tree decided to use
to highlight their work.
So many videos show the table overall, then focus in on the tree, then move on to the next. You never really get a good look at the other items. I think if it's important enough for the owner to
take time to make a statement, then the photographer should do likewise to capture the essence of the display. Yep, would definetely take more time and effort.So I make my plea again as if a dalmation ( or for Si, a bekko) could or would change their spots. or in this situation, their way of doing things . Not to single anyone out specifically but to bring attention to something that seems to be pervasive and needs to be changed.

Hi Dick, sorry for the late reply. This show was nice, but it was very small and in a hot, noisy, crowded place, so the ambience was not there, at least not when I was there. The trees and accents were nice enough, but it was hard to capture their own serenity. One had to just bring one's own peace with him. Now, the club did have professional pictures taken of the individual trees on a proper stage with nice backdrop and plenty of space, so those pictures would be better I am sure.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
The pics you shared had good clarity of the tables and kusamono and i appreciated and applaud you for that.

Top Bottom