Satsuki, bonsai ou pas bonsai ?

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
I am new to this very nice forum.
I've seen that there are occasional discussions between members about azaleas.
The question that seems to come up regularly is: "Are they real bonsai?"
This question does not seem to be debated in Europe at least not in Belgium or France where they are admitted as such and in their own right as bonsai.
Azaleas, in the broadest sense of the word, have been my passion for many years and these discussions caught my attention.
So I naturally looked for the reason of these questions and I may have found where they came from.
There are many families of azaleas, two of them among others are regularly grown in pots. I am talking about Satsuki azaleas and Tsutsuji azaleas.
I think that a confusion between these two families of azaleas is at the root of this "problem".
Unfortunately, I can't bring any certainty, so these are only hypothesis.
It is up to you to see.

What are the differences between these azaleas?

At first sight, if you don't pay attention, there are none, they are two very similar families of azaleas.
They both make a lot of flowers, they grow very well in acidic pots, they can be pruned very well and there are many varieties...
However, if you look closely, you will notice that there are several points that differentiate them.

For example, the flowering period, I already talked about it in the history.
In general, Satsuki bloom about 30 days after Tsutsuji
Tsutsuji are spring flowering azaleas about 30 days before spring.
These are of course generalities, because the blooming also depends on the weather and the temperature.
It is therefore possible to see, as it is often the case during exhibitions, satsuki in advance of their blooming period, just as it is common to see Tsutsuji late in their blooming. It is also a question of preparation when exhibiting.

But there are other differences, the following two are natural.
The trunks.
Satsuki tend to form large nebari and can form large trunks.
They are basal.
Tsutsuji remain slimmer, they don't form big trunks and wide nebari.
They are of course basal like all rhododendrons, but when looking at them one has the impression that they are rather apical because of their slender shape.

The branches.
The branches of Satsuki branch much more easily than Tsutsuji.

There are also differences in the way we do it, because the Japanese use them differently.
Satsuki are grown almost exclusively in pots.
Tsutsuji are also grown in pots, but also as hedges or in a decorative way in gardens or parks as you can see here.

Tsutsuji Matsuri: an ode to the beauty of azaleas

https://voyapon.com/fr/tsutsuji-matsuri-azalees-tokyo-nezu/
Thousands of azaleas at the Tsutsuji Matsuri in the middle of Tokyo

- Kasama Tsutsuji Park
https://zekkeijapan.com/spot/index/939/

Their shapes.
Satsuki azaleas are worked by bonsaika in all bonsai styles.
Their shapes are as important if not more important than their blooms.
Tsutsuji are generally presented with rather thin, high and straight trunks, sometimes we also meet some with spring-like trunks.
Sans-titre-1.jpg

They are above all worked for the beauty and the quality of their flowers.

About the shapes, Tsustuji's is always slender.
For the amateurs or the beginners, the Bunjin-gi style of straight form is the one which is the closest to the Tsutsuji form, but you should not be mistaken, it has nothing to do with the literati form.
The Tachi-Agari or Tachiagari which is the part of the trunk which goes from the base of the trunk (nebari) to the first branch (ichi- no- eda) is quite different. The one in Bujin-ji usually goes up much higher.
The number of branches is also very different. On the Bunjin-gi, they are sparse while they are numerous on the Tsutsuji, so the empty spaces are extremely reduced if not non-existent.

Their pots.
The shape of the satsuki pots varies according to their style.
Tsutsuji's pots are all of the same shape.

Their exhibitions.
Tsutsuji are only displayed when they are in bloom.
Satsuki can be displayed without flowers.

These are the few major points that characterize them, but nowadays, there are almost only purists who differentiate them, we see now in all azalea exhibitions satsuki next to Tsutsuji. Maybe this is where the problem comes from.

I don't know how to prove it, but I think that the "Satsuki bonsai or not bonsai" problem comes from there.
I think that this non-recognition of satsuki as bonsai comes from the fact that bonsai lovers who did not know azaleas confuse these two families so close to each other.
We tend to agree with them if we only take into account what characterizes the tsutsuji, because if we only take into account these elements, we can understand that there is confusion.

- Tsutsuji remain slender, they do not form a big trunk and a large nebari.
- The branches of Tsutsuji branch out much less than those of satsuki.
- Tsutsuji are also grown in pots, but also as hedges or as decorative plants in gardens or parks as seen here.
- Tsutsuji pots are all of the same shape.
- Tsutsuji are displayed only when they are in bloom.
- They all have more or less the same shape (high, slender and straight)
- Little or no empty spaces

As I have just written: "today, there is almost only the purists who differentiate them..." and I can understand that the amateurs who have in front of them a Tsutsuji azalea say that the azaleas look like a bonsai, but that it is not really a bonsai.
Simply because they confuse Satsuki and Tsutsuji or simply ignore the existence of these two families.
Again, what I say is just a hypothesis.

I would like to point out that the Tsutsuji are just as honorable as the satsuki.
They are quite worthy of interest and are wonders... in flowers.

Here are some pictures of Satsuki and Tsutsuji which, I hope, will help you to understand my explanations.

Satsuki.

Sats 1.jpg

Sats 2.jpg

Sats 3.jpg

Sats 4.jpg

Tronc.jpg

Ramifi.jpg

Attachments

• tsutsuji 9.jpg
    tsutsuji 9.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 16
  • tsutsuji.jpg
    tsutsuji.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
  • tsutsuji 1.jpg
    tsutsuji 1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 13

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Here are some videos, these are purist exhibitions, the azaleas are exposed without flowers, just for their shape. You will not see a single Tsutsuji.

As always during exhibitions, there are very beautiful trees and others less.
Some of them would deserve a little scissors to redefine a little better the empty spaces which are so important for our small trees.
It is important to know that azaleas start to form their flower buds after flowering.
That's why it's important to prune directly afterwards, because if you prune too late, it will be at the expense of next year's bloom.
When a show of azaleas without flowers is organized late in the year (after July), amateurs and especially dealers are a bit reluctant to prune their trees slightly because an azalea in full bloom will always sell better.
But I think I am a bit too critical, judge for yourself, you will see some very beautiful trees.

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
To finish, here is an azalea from my collection, it is a satsuki azalea of the Kinsaï variety.

1.jpg

A small detail that has nothing to do with the theme of the discussion.
Kinsaï have the particularity to make two patterns of flowers.

Kinsaï-2.jpg

If someone thinks that it is not a bonsai, could he give me the reasons?

DSCN5653111.jpg

ne can like azaleas or not like them, it is neither good nor bad, it is just a matter of taste.
For me, it is necessary to make the difference between these two families of azaleas.
Satsuki azaleas are full-fledged bonsai.
Tsutsuji azaleas are a bit different, but that doesn't take away from their beauty.

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Isn't the main thing to give our trees a good culture with each gesture in due time, to make them more and more beautiful and especially to love them ? :)

I wish you a very good day. ;)

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you Sorce. :)

I don't know how to change the title of my topic to "Satsuki, bonsai or not bonsai." but you'll understand. :(

One last picture I would have liked to add to my message about Tsutsuji.

tsutsuji 10.jpg

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
My apologies, I was clumsy, :( it would be nice if a moderator could delete the attached files that are in my first post.

They have nothing to do there. and risk to complicate my explanations.

I thank you in advance ;)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work up @Touche and welcome aboard!

Your thread is really good, illustrating the differences among azalea types used for bonsai. It seems the difference between bonsai camps goes quite a bit deeper then this, “bonsai of the ages” vs “upstart azalea of any type”.

btw your illustrations show the common perception of azalea… aka the common flower towers exhibited in Japan. I‘ll add a couple other designs of azaleas, old time or more modern, to help show, hopefully, a more 3D view of the designs azaleas can be crafted into. …. a couple with attempts at rare azalea deadwood features, which tend to be ephemeral.
4493AB53-B538-48FD-A9C7-18F1A07D91F8.jpeg
D942DCBD-0278-45B9-A3C7-886A21D95E01.jpegBB1FB334-2C97-40FC-97B2-80068CB1C445.jpegDB1AA1B3-CEFC-455F-ABD3-89435304B167.jpeg16B16ED6-22B6-443F-9396-83CB92FDEE21.jpegEE7D7A26-0D5B-4265-B0D6-BA029A0CB205.jpegB0F084DC-4112-4E01-AEAB-028ACC43320F.jpeg99DEA1D1-C1B8-4540-905D-CA1360151954.jpeg4F6E3107-F3C6-4179-8FA5-5BF8A0625D67.jpeg
Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. Yet these aren’t mine, merely some really good examples from the azaleas world. 😎
Best
DSD sends

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In general, Satsuki bloom about 30 days after Tsutsuji
Tsutsuji are spring flowering azaleas about 30 days before spring.
Im confused about timing. Satsuki bloom in June, right? And this coincides with the beginning of Spring in the oriental calender?
Tsutsuji bloom in May then?
But youve shown images where they flower together with satsuki?

Every other difference seems like it might just be a difference in cultivation

It all seems very Rhododendron indicum-ish to me
Flowers too, both have all the pattern range, seems like

So theyre different styles rather than different genetics?

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
As I explained

These are of course generalities, because the blooming also depends on the weather and the temperature.
It is therefore possible to see, as it is often the case during exhibitions, satsuki in advance of their blooming period, just as it is common to see Tsutsuji late in their blooming. It is also a question of preparation when exhibiting.

In Japan, we regularly see azalea hedges.
They use tsutsuji to make them.
In Japan, we regularly see azalea hedges.
They use tsutsuji to make them.
Simply because they give a better result for this realization.

DSC_0188.JPG

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It seems a bit of clarification might be needed about what Tsutsuji (also sp. Tsutsusi) azaleas we are talking about.. Tsutsuji (Tsutsusi) means multiple things. btw: Please correct me if I leave something out or twist it about.

First off, and most importantly, the Tsutsuji azaleas @Toche is referring to are mostly, if not all, what we call Kurumes. In the US Kurumes are mostly used in our landscapes too, besides bonsai.

In Japan Tsutsuji (Tsutsusi) can mean an azalea flower, or all azaleas that bloom before May, also generally certain azalea hybrids I.e. Kurumes ….witness the link to a kurume park site

Scientifically Tsutusi (Tsutsuji) has a couple designations…. that of a section of the genus Rhododendron…. and that of a section of the subgenus of Azaleastrum. Confused? Here’s a hierarchy…. Note this classification was revised in 2005 once DNA data was considered, so lots of websites have old information…. which is still being perpetuated.

Rhododendron genus
section Tsutsusi
subgenus Azaleastrum

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
First of all a big thank you to DSD for this post. ;)
It's always great to learn more about our passion, Thank you for sharing.
DSD talks about the origin of Tsutsuji or Tsutsusi, I'm going to tell you about the origins of satsuki.

A few words so that you can understand the following article.
In 2006, I created a satsuki-bonsai forum.
Most of the members are French or Belgian.
I wrote an article to share what I could find about satsuki. I translated it and I share it here for you.
This article is already old, I wrote it about fifteen years ago, so it is certainly incomplete and it is possible that there are corrections to be made today.
It is the result of my research at that time.
Among other things, I talk about rainfall and hygrometry, I had made comparative tables using cities in France and Belgium (hardiness zone ranging from 6 to 10a).
Unfortunately, 🥲 it is impossible for me to do them again for a region as vast as the United States.

I also did some research about the history of satsuki.
If you want, I can also share it with you, but it is also from 2006.
I gathered the anecdotes I could find and put them in chronological order.

So here is the article about the "origins" of satsuki.

- Satsuki are part of the Japanese azaleas, but more generally, what are the azaleas that we find in Japan?

The plants we know as Azaleas are in fact Rhododendrons
The name "Rhododendron" comes from the Greek and means "rose tree".
Many species and their hybrids are native to Asia.
They are most often found in mountainous regions.

For the purists, here is the classic classification of Rhododendron.

Kingdom Plantae.
Sub-Region Tracheobionta.
Division Magnoliophyta.
Class Magnoliopsida.
Order Ericales.
Family Ericaceae.
Genus Rhododendron L., 1753

Phylogenetic classification:
Order Ericales.
Family Ericaceae.
Subgenera of lower rank:
- Azaleastrum
- Candidastrum
- Hymenanthes
- Mumeazalea
- Pentanthera
- Rhododendron
- Therorhodion
- Tsutsusi

In the lower subgenus Tsutsusi we find two sections
The section Brachycalyx
The section Tsutsusi
It is in this last one that we find R. indicum and eriocarpum
Rhododendron amagianum
Rhododendron atrovirens
Rhododendron breviperulatum
Rhododendron decandrum
Rhododendron dilatatum
Rhododendron eriocarpum also called Rhododendron Tamurae
Rhododendron farrerae
Rhododendron hidakanum
Rhododendron hongkongense
Rhododendron indicum
Rhododendron kaempferi
Rhododendron kanehirai
Rhododendron kiusianum

http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rhododendron_eriocarpum

http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rhododendron_sect._Tsutsusi

http://www.rhodyman.net/rhodyprop.php

It is the Rhododendron indicum and Rhododendron eriocarpum that are mainly the basis of what we commonly call Satsuki Azalea.
Satsuki come largely from Japan, that's a fact, but by "Japanese Azaleas" we mean "Evergreen Azaleas".
As I said, they come mainly from Japan, but not only
To put it simply, the evergreen azaleas that we commonly call "Japanese azaleas" are classified into two groups.

The first one, the Obtusum group which includes 5 well defined groups whose names are generally the geographical places of origin,
- The group of KYUSHU.
- The group of RYUKYU.
- The CHINESE Azaleas.
- INDIAN Azaleas, also called BELGIAN Azaleas.
- Azaleas from TAIWAN.
- Azaleas from KOREA.

To these 5 groups are added two subgroups less distinct than the first ones.

- Small leaf azaleas.
- The uncommon or recently introduced species.

And the second, the Tashiroi group which contains only one species.
Rhododendron tashiroi.

So much for Japanese Azaleas, let's get back to our topic.
Thanks to Itō Ihei, the Japanese have a classification in two groups.
This classification must not please the taxonomists, but it is much simpler.
Satsuki azaleas are just a group of hybrids derived mainly from R. indicum and R. tamurae (eriocarpum) .
They are not species. The term Satsuki in Japanese is only a reference to their flowering period which is from May to June.
Tsutsuji which bloom about 30 days before spring. March-April
The Satsuki which bloom about 30 days after the Tsutsuji. May-June

These are the ones we are particularly interested in today, they are also the most appreciated in Japan.

Meaning:
The word satsuki is composed of two Kanji characters *
SA which means five and TSUKI which means moon.

Satsuki means fifth moon.
The fifth moon of the oriental lunar calendar corresponds to our month of June and refers to the flowering period.

*Kanji: Ideographic sign of the Japanese writing.

Satsuki were first called Iwa tsutsuji or Mochi tsutsuji
They were mainly in gardens. In 1910, growers started to plant Satsuki in pots, so many old specimens were potted for bonsai.

What is their geographical distribution and more specifically under what climatic conditions do they grow?
As I explained at the beginning, Satsuki are hybrids mainly, and not only, from two wild varieties:

Rhododendron Indicum:

Also known in Japan as Kawa Satsuki (River Satsuki).
It is a mountain Rhododendron, it grows at high altitude in rocky crevices on the steep sides of mountains along streams.
It tends to be creeping, in general, it does not reach a height higher than 1M50.
The flowers which have in principle, 5 petals and 5 stamens, go from the pink to the reddish while passing occasionally by white. Its leaves are elongated, thin and pointed.
The Rhododendron Indicum is an evergreen.

indic.jpg

and Rhododendron Tamurae (R. eriocarpum):
Also known in Japan as Maruba satsuki (round-leaved satsuki).
It thrives further south than the previous one and at a lower altitude.
It is also a creeping plant, it is less high than R. Indicum. +/- 50cm high.
The shape of the leaves of R. Tamurae is much wider and round.
It is much less resistant to frost than R. Indicum.

a-tamua.jpg

Origin:

As a reminder, satsuki are mostly hybrids of R. Indicum and R. Tamurae.
We can see "wild hybrid" satsuki growing near the mountain between the rocks in the west of Tokyo, but if Kanuma* is the reference city for satsuki, it is mainly in the south of Japan and more particularly in the extreme south of it that we can find the two rhododendrons Indicum and Tamurae endemically.
This region is the island of Yakushima,
Both varieties are endemic to this area and hybrids have been developed through natural pollination.

* Kanuma is a city founded shortly after the Second World War.
It is located on the largest island of Japan, this island called Honshu is in the center of Japan and there are some large cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama and Nagoya.
Kanuma is located in the Kantō region (Tochigi prefecture).
The municipal symbols are the Japanese cedar and Rhododendron indicum.
Yakushima Island is located more than 1000 km from Tokyo, in the extreme south of Japan and more precisely in the south of the Osumi Peninsula, its surface covers about 500 km2.

yakushima ile.JPG

It is nicknamed "the Alps of the ocean" because of its very mountainous relief more than thirty peaks exceed 1800 meters.
Its highest point is Mount Miyanoura, located in the center of Kyushu region (1935 m).
This region has the particularity to be the hottest and at the same time the rainiest of Japan.
Thanks to this warm and humid climate, the island is a sanctuary for more than 1900 species of plants, its mountainous slopes are covered with a virgin forest.

For those who know, this island is home to the Jōmon-sugi, a Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) that is said to be between three thousand and seven thousand two hundred years old...

https://www.mustlovejapan.com/subject/jomon_sugi/

Jomon.jpg

The rest is coming. :)

Top Bottom