satsuki Hung the leaves

Anton

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Please tell me what could be with my azalea? the city of Kiev (Ukraine) the temperature outside at night 15-17, in the afternoon 23.

Attachments

• 20210901_084919.jpg
    20210901_084919.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 44

Anton

Seedling
Reaction score
I am sure it needs to be outdoor all the time.
Now I took it home. I don't understand what's wrong with her. It's getting colder in Kiev now.

Anton

Seedling
Reaction score
poured the azalea. everything is fine. missed one day - dropped the leaves

Attachments

• изображение_viber_2021-09-01_10-22-47-512.jpg
    изображение_viber_2021-09-01_10-22-47-512.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 39

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you in an apartment?

Azalea need to have dormancy in the winter. They will not survive inside your house/apartment all winter. However it will need protection from winter winds.

Do you mean 15 degrees Celsius?
Azalea can handle that outside just fine.

Anton

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you in an apartment?

Azalea need to have dormancy in the winter. They will not survive inside your house/apartment all winter. However it will need protection from winter winds.

Do you mean 15 degrees Celsius?
Azalea can handle that outside just fine.
I returned it to the outside, but on the outside at night 15 degrees Celsius, in the daytime 23

Anton

Seedling
Reaction score
I believe it stays outside.

And he just missed a watering.

Sorce
It's magic :)
I have other adult azaleas, I have not encountered similar things (Osakazuki). If they missed watering, they did not drop the leaves.
I bought HI NO MARU for breeding, I met with such a problem.
3-4 azaleas disappeared, I did not miss watering. I decided to clarify, just in case, on the forum. Here's an example. Others grow normally.

Attachments

• изображение_viber_2021-09-01_18-58-54-004.jpg
    изображение_viber_2021-09-01_18-58-54-004.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 20

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's magic :)
I have other adult azaleas, I have not encountered similar things (Osakazuki). If they missed watering, they did not drop the leaves.
I bought HI NO MARU for breeding, I met with such a problem.
3-4 azaleas disappeared, I did not miss watering. I decided to clarify, just in case, on the forum. Here's an example. Others grow normally.

I am bit confused, but it seems these symptoms would be consistent with plants kept indoors.

Sorce

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Based upon my personal encounters with Hi no Maru, a very new cultivar, is quite a bit more sensitive to conditions and change. Osakasuki is a very tough, older cultivar and mine reflect that.

Newer cultivars are often this way. So changing the conditions it’s kept in could explain this.

cheers
DSDsends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I returned it to the outside, but on the outside at night 15 degrees Celsius, in the daytime 23

15 degrees C is 59 degrees F

I don't even start to think about bringing my satsuki and chinzan azalea in until it reaches 35 - 40 F at night.

Anton

Seedling
Reaction score
I am bit confused, but it seems these symptoms would be consistent with plants kept indoors.

Sorce
They are not indoors! take a photo indoors.

Anton

Seedling
Reaction score
Based upon my personal encounters with Hi no Maru, a very new cultivar, is quite a bit more sensitive to conditions and change. Osakasuki is a very tough, older cultivar and mine reflect that.

Newer cultivars are often this way. So changing the conditions it’s kept in could explain this.

cheers
DSDsends
Your answer will help me in the future, thanks a lot.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The wilted leaves show the roots have ceased functioning. This is usually from one of 2 causes.

Drying a tree out too hard. If the roots get too dry, the root tips will die. Most of the water absorption is at the root tips. Returning to a consistent watering regime will usually "fix" the problem if there are enough live roots to support new leaves. Don't give up, it can take a month or two for a completely defoliated tree to grow new leaves. It is late in the year to for it to grow new leaves. Protect this azalea from temperatures lower than zero C. A hard freeze of tissue that is trying to recover from late August damage could kill the tree completely.

Second option, the tree was kept too wet. If kept too wet a fungal or bacterial infection can get started which kills roots making the tree look like it had dried out too hard. If you think it might have been too wet, cut through a twig or small branch or two. If there are strange purple or brown rings or streaks of color inside, this is a sign of a fungal or bacterial infection that penetrated the azalea's root system. This is usually fatal, no amount of chemicals will fix this. Separate the tree from the rest of your trees, let it approach dry between watering. If it does not grow new leaves within 2 months is deceased. Discard tree and potting media. Clean pot thoroughly before re-using the pot. I suggest wiping the inside of the pot with a household bleach solution before using the pot again.

Alternating too dry with too wet will also set up the tree for fungal and bacterial infections. When dry, root tips dry, then while too wet fungi & or bacteria will ender the tree through dead root tips.

Scenario 3.
Gently lift tree out of pot, if you see white cotton like masses with soft bodied scale insects then your tree is infected with root mealies. These are a species of mealy bud, in the Adelgid family. Put the tree back in the pot, then mix up a bucket of pesticide sufficient to drench the soil with the pesticide. The pesticide must list Adelgids and or Mealy Bugs as target insects. There are both conventional pesticides, such as imidaproclid, that will kill adelgids. There are also organic treatments that may work. I am not familiar with what products are available in Kiev.

Good luck.

Top Bottom