Satsuki in Belgium.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, so all of these are forced? Or just very late bloomers ?

best
DSD

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
these are just my pictures which are not from this year. :)
I was there this spring and bought a couple of Camellias. Unfortunately, Marc isn't getting any younger and the passing of his wife didn't help. Many of the trees were neglected and there were quite a few dead trees in the conifer greenhouse. There was also a huge ume that had died back and now only has a new branch close to the ground. It was rather sad, as I had fond memories of his place a decade ago.
A friend went back a couple weeks ago and there were even more neglected trees than in the spring.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s sad…. and too bad it’s in the EU s as I’ve been in the hunt for some Satsuki trees to work lately.

Best
DSD sends

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Marc isn't getting any younger and the passing of his wife didn't help.

Unfortunately, that's not all, but it's not worth talking about here.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s sad….
At some point, Marc had possibly the largest collection of satsuki in Europe. He imported a very large amount of advanced trees and organized a yearly Satsuki festival with guest Japanese demonstrators.
When I went in Spring, there was one row of satsuki left in the public greenhouse. There were quite a few empty rows, and a couple of rows with boarded trees (not for sale). A few club members bought large neglected trees from there, for pennies on the dollar.

Toche, will you be in Mons on the 12th?

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Toche, will you be in Mons on the 12th?
I forgot to answer you Meushi, :(
No, for two reasons, the first one, my car was washed away a month ago during the floods.
The second, I have been working for weeks on improving my bonsai space, I would like to move forward in my work.

21.jpg

2.jpg

1111.jpg

1.jpg

PieterVE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was there this spring and bought a couple of Camellias. Unfortunately, Marc isn't getting any younger and the passing of his wife didn't help. Many of the trees were neglected and there were quite a few dead trees in the conifer greenhouse. There was also a huge ume that had died back and now only has a new branch close to the ground. It was rather sad, as I had fond memories of his place a decade ago.

A friend went back a couple weeks ago and there were even more neglected trees than in the spring.

15 years ago I lived near where Marc is situated, in a street at the back of the greenhouses, and had my first bonsai lessons from him there.

Last year I visited it again, and it was indeed very very sad to see the state of the trees and greenhouses, but even sadder to see him and his wife at that time, and heard afterwards that she came to pass.
Also have fond memories, helping out with the Satsuki festival each year...

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A bit said to hear. He is the most reputable satsuki bonsai expert in Europe, I think?

Did anyone visit both Lodder and Bauwens this year? If so, can one compare the level of care in both places?

Top Bottom