Satsuki Not Doing Well

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have four Satsukis and three of them are doing well. This one is not. It got really soaked for a couple of rainy days here, and I fear that it is drowning. Please give me the benefit of your wisdom into what is wrong with my Satsuki and what I should do about it.

Attachments

• 20211226_115400.jpg
    20211226_115400.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20211226_115405[1713].jpg
    20211226_115405[1713].jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 119

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If the only difference between your trees is that one stayed wet for a few days and it is the only one affected stands to reason that's the cause.
The tree does not look too bad. Still enough green to be optimistic IMHO.
I'd try just letting it get a fraction drier if possible. Just be careful not to overcompensate because they certainly don't like to be dry either.
There are other possible reasons for a satsuki to look sick so always keep an open mind for other possibilities. Soil type and water quality are 2 common reasons for azalea decline but I assume all yours get the same soil and water so those are unlikely. Occasionally some varieties can be less hardy. Maybe not exciting but could be a cause for the symptoms.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I should add that of the four trees, three are still in the nursery soil I brought them home in a couple of months ago, including this one. One got accidentally knocked off a shelf at the start and I had to repot it right then; I pruned the roots (beginner's overwhelming enthusiasm), repotted it in kanuma and it seems to be no different from the other two. Also, regarding this one, the leaves are much smaller than the others. I'll include some more detailed photos a little later today.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like a typical satsuki in winter to me. I have some that are almost bare at the moment. I would collect and remove any leaves that have dropped into the pot and well as removing that dead branch tip.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should add that of the four trees, three are still in the nursery soil I brought them home in a couple of months ago, including this one.

I do not see typical nursery soil in the photos, I see nursery soil in the middle but stones/granules around that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I do not see typical nursery soil in the photos, I see nursery soil in the middle but stones/granules around that.
All I can say is that that is the undisturbed pot in which I brought it home from Murayama Nursery in Sacramento.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yuzo doesn't use nursery soil for his Satsuki- or for anything else for that matter. They look semi-normal-ish for Satsuki in winter, but do I see a scale in your picture? Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 12.24.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Except for the dried branch that died a while ago, this is about how a satsuki looks in winter. Yes, it looks like it is not doing much.
The only way to know how healthy it is is to see how it comes out of dormancy at the end of winter.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
‘Yuzo doesn't use nursery soil for his Satsuki- or for anything else for that matter.’
I beg to differ. I bought two trees three years ago. Both had his signature styrofoam peanuts, and both had organic soil at their bases, surrounded by kanuma. The organic soil had hardened between the nebari, and in my ignorance I didn’t think to ‘cultivate’ it to break it up so water could get through. Ultimately both died because when they were watered, the water ran off the center to the edges, with the majority of the root mass getting no water at all.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
As others have said, your azaleas look fine for this time of the year. We are scheduled for a lot more rain(CA standards) so putting those that are really soggy under a cover would be wise. I don't think the peanuts are a big + or -, but they do make repotting difficult. Repot when we get warmer temperatures.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here are the other photos I had promised.

Attachments

• 20211227_154447.jpg
    20211227_154447.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211227_154459.jpg
    20211227_154459.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211227_154513.jpg
    20211227_154513.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211227_154525.jpg
    20211227_154525.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What is that dark clump in the middle if not organic nursery soil?
It is the giant, hard root ball that all of Murayama Satsukis have. I've never been to another bonsai nursery, so I don't know if this is common or not.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Doesn't look too bad but I still think the soil is bad.

What is that dark clump in the middle if not organic nursery soil?

I agree. I think the foliage looks fine - this is the time of year that they will drop all their old inner leaves.

However I agree with Bnana. There appears to be a core of solid organic soil in the middle, surrounded by inorganic mix with piece size a little on the large size for this particular plant. How can you tell? The inner organic soil is jet black and growing moss on its surface, suggesting that it isn't drying out between waterings. The inorganic soil has some green on it - not from moss but from algae. Perhaps you have just had a rainy month, but be really careful that you aren't creating an environment where the core rootball starts to rot. In the spring I would repot this plant and investigate the rootball to its core. Do not bare-root it, but try to remove about 50% of the organic soil ball in the middle. The following year you can go back for the remaining 50%. This way you won't stress the plant too much.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I forgot about his peanuts technique... lol I had a few of those and funny if they are on the ground the will literally suck up the ground soil into the roots!

I have teased out the roots over time as BonsaiNut says to... however IME with Maruyama's Satsuki there is no organic soil- it's literally a tight mass of roots that looks like organic (not that that makes things better). I have seen this type of root ball on many of their trees where they aren't going through the roots as they are potting up. He has used more of a "production" method when potting up. One exception when he was buying "Ron Kuzon" azalea direct from nurseries in the area and potting them up for resale... He and Mrs Maruyama usually take hundreds and hundreds of Satsuki cuttings each year and they go straight into Kanuma (unsifted).

...Now your real challenge is the Summer HEAT in Roseville! Got shade cloth?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your tree looks a bit peaked, yetI can’t tell if it the cold or a little nasty. If it’s cold by you wait before doing anything drastic.

Please use a magnifying glass when you do return. Those areas are some areas satsuki love to bud out of and scale loves to hide. You’ll recognize the scale right off with a magnifier. If it is scale, that’s easy to treat, but be persistent about hunting down the little buggers every couple days.

The most common scale on azaleas looks kind of weird it’s azalea bark scale. Check this out.

I’m sorry yet, imho I would flat out bare root this tree in the late winter if you are in Roseville. This is the second tree I’ve seen today with the same media situation. Leaving 1/2 of that media caked on the fine fiberous roots while having Kanuma or otherwise good draining media all around is just asking for the remaining muck to sop up water and kick off a bout of root rot, one of the main reasons why azaleas die.

Azaleas aren’t like most other trees in that these little guys, if given good care an azalea can handle a proper root wash like a miner’s once a year bath. Shedding copious dirt, yet coming out smelling like a daisy… I mean an azalea!

Last year I rootwashed over 30 azaleas and all but 1 of the 12 smallest ones, a very slow growing narrow leafed satsuki, survived. It didn’t like the Big Heat Dome event at all.

After a root wash expect the tree to respond slowly for about six weeks until things warm up.

Best of luck!
DSD sends

Last edited:
Top Bottom