Amerssa

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here, i´m kinda new to bonsai i´ve been practicing it for around 2 years now, last year my gf gave me this Satsuki Azalea (at least she said it was an Azalea, but i haven´t found any azaleas with similar leaves in my search.) and it was growing pretty well until last month. It´s leaves started to turn red(kinda) and i don´t really know much about Azaleas to point out why this is happening, i think it´s iron deficiency, but i´d love to hear what you guys have to say about it. Also let me know if this is really an Azalea lol.

Thanks for your attention. <3
PS: srry for my bad grammar, English is not my native language

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 00.36.46(2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 00.36.46(3).jpeg

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome! Doesn’t look like any azalea I’ve ever seen. Looks like a prunus but that’s just a wild guess. Add where you are located in your profile so you can helped better.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome, I would say that's not an azalea. Looks like possibly a plum? Someone else may know for sure, but that's not an azalea.

Amerssa

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome, I would say that's not an azalea. Looks like possibly a plum? Someone else may know for sure, but that's not an azalea.
i just searched for plum leaves, it really looks similar ,but i also found out there is an azalea species called plum leaf azalea, but honestly i have no idea if this really is one maybe if it starts to blossom i´ll know for sure

Amerssa

Seedling
Reaction score
Here is the photo of when it arrived, it had some flowers but they were already dead when i got it, srry for the bad quality this is the only photo i have of that time

Screenshot_58.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This does look like a prunus of some sort. they are all deciduous and Brazil is entering winter months so it is likely the tree is getting ready to go dormant for winter.
Plum leaf azalea is also deciduous so if that's it it will also lose all the leaves for winter. The trunk does not look much like azalea though. ID will be much easier if you can show flowers next season.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is not an azalea. Doubt it is even part of the Ericaceae family. The reason it is turning red is likely because it is breaking down chrolophyl and the reduction in green pigments makes the colour of the other pigments come out. Your location on the southern hemisphere is crucial to this hypothesis.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

3rd member from there!

Sorce

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome! Yes, there is an azalea, rhododendron prunifolia, but is extremely rare, perhaps the rarest in the entire US. With agricultural export regulations being what they are, it is almost inconceivable that you would have one. In addition, prunifolia has red or orange blossoms. To me that looks like early autumn foliage on a crabapple.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not an Azalea, and not red-ish for any reason other than that's the way that species grows. Dollars to donuts it's a southern hemisphere, South American critter unknown as bonsai to us other worlders. Remember, South America is bigger and has 10 times as many species of trees as North America.

Amerssa

Seedling
Reaction score
So, if anyone is interested, i talked to the guy that sold it for my gf, and he said it´s not an Azalea, probably one of his workers mislabeled it, he confirmed it´s a Prunus, and now i´m really happy to know that i haven´t killed and it´s actually starting to blossom :). Anyway thanks for the help <3

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 16.08.44.jpeg

Top Bottom