Satsuki Pruning Advice Needed

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have been on a bit of a Satsuki spree this spring and need a little guidance. I have successfully repotted most of them (with the exception of two that are still blooming) out of their nursery containers, with no ill effects. I trimmed off all the blooms and cut back to two of the five shoots that extended from the blooms. My question, is it necessary/beneficial to do a drastic cut back, like to a couple sets of leaves per branch? And being almost to July, when do they start to set buds for next spring? I am not so concerned about trying to train them in any certain way yet, just want to keep them happy and healthy.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sattsuki grow, bloom, then grow unlike most all other varieties that bloom and then grow (possibly preceded by leafing). So, one has a lot more options with them. I'll just mention that one can defoliate in early spring (BUT being careful to keep the trio of leaves around the tip!) to induce ramification prior to blooming.

But to your point about NOW, I think you can treat them like any other azalea immediately after blooming and they will be happy. They can be 'chopped' hard anytime in spring through flowering time and will likely pop buds from old 'leaf scars'/'eyes', even though you may risk loosing a branch or two --> keeping a leaf or a branch is the best insurance to keeping the (base) branch alive.

I don't think satsuki set buds until near the autumn equinox, but you'll just have to watch closely to know when yours do. Flower buds are apical vegetative buds that morph into flower buds. I'm still unsure of exactly when that is, but once they have, that particular stem will stop extending and the bud will fatten. Those stems that meanwhile keep growing will remain vegetative and the tip buds will not fatten, much like happens in spring (when the fat flower buds are more obvious).

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sattsuki grow, bloom, then grow unlike most all other varieties that bloom and then grow (possibly preceded by leafing). So, one has a lot more options with them. I'll just mention that one can defoliate in early spring (BUT being careful to keep the trio of leaves around the tip!) to induce ramification prior to blooming.

But to your point about NOW, I think you can treat them like any other azalea immediately after blooming and they will be happy. They can be 'chopped' hard anytime in spring through flowering time and will likely pop buds from old 'leaf scars'/'eyes', even though you may risk loosing a branch or two --> keeping a leaf or a branch is the best insurance to keeping the (base) branch alive.

I don't think satsuki set buds until near the autumn equinox, but you'll just have to watch closely to know when yours do. Flower buds are apical vegetative buds that morph into flower buds. I'm still unsure of exactly when that is, but once they have, that particular stem will stop extending and the bud will fatten. Those stems that meanwhile keep growing will remain vegetative and the tip buds will not fatten, much like happens in spring (when the fat flower buds are more obvious).
Thank you, that was very helpful.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is "necessary" to cut back hard, or detrimental to the plant not to? I'm just dipping my toes back in the Azalea waters after killing a couple little ones from Brussels my first year or so in the hobby. ( I still think it was the soil they were in, hard as a rock). My bad for not repotting right away with those 2.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Carol 83 I would avoid cutting/pruning any later than say mid-July if you want to see blooms next year. Time to cut back is right after they bloom, you will see a good flush in response to the cut back. Also remember to seal all cuts.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83 I would avoid cutting/pruning any later than say mid-July if you want to see blooms next year. Time to cut back is right after they bloom, you will see a good flush in response to the cut back. Also remember to seal all cuts.
I guess what I'm asking is, is it necessary for the health of the plant to prune it back substantially, or is it detrimental to just let it grow this year?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess what I'm asking is, is it necessary for the health of the plant to prune it back substantially, or is it detrimental to just let it grow this year?
I have only recently taken on Satsuki azaleas as bonsai potentials but I have decades of experience growing azaleas in the landscape and their subsequent care. I have about 30 new satsuki I bought just this year and I will be doing minimal pruning this year. I just want them to grow, gain vigor and thicken up. I am always a bit cautious pruning young plants hard, but azaleas in general can take very hard pruning. Frequently in my landscape business I ran across old lanky azalea that the owners thought were trash. After a hard but selective pruning they always responded with an explosion of new growth and back budding.
I you are growing yours as only future bonsai you can prune them pretty hard. Mine are being gown for future stock plants for cuttings, landscape plants, and bonsai last. My rule for some number of decades has been to get my heavy pruning done by July 4th. (for azaleas, trees, and just about everything) Winters have been so mild here the past few winters that you can probably push it a couple more weeks, but this could be "that winter". Why don't you cut some hard now and hold off on some. Your results will be your answer.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmmm….

If your goal is ramification, yes. You will keep the energy at the terminal tips.

If your goal is to extend the branches no.

If your concern is just the health of the tree no.

Cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Why don't you cut some hard now and hold off on some. Your results will be your answer.
You read my mind. I have two of two different cultivars. One of each will be cut back this weekend. I'll leave all of the others go for now. I'm just happy they all survived the repots. They were all in very deep nursery pots, and I had to borrow a saw from my husbands tool box to get them into shallower pots.

Top Bottom