Satsuki 'Shin Nikko'

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Picked this Satsuki 'Shin Nikko' up when Rick Garcia visited Milwaukee this August. I forgot if I made a thread for it. I'm planning to use this as a progression thread. Today I am removing flower buds. Tedious, and they are still quite small, I will have to do several rounds of bud removal. As more buds enlarge, I'll remove them in later rounds of picking. I want to repot in early spring, so I need to keep it strong. Removing flower buds, and being on schedule with fertilizer will help prepare the tree for repotting. I'm planning on using 100% kanuma. I need to spray, looks like some sort of "bug" is munching on some zones of the leaves. I have a nice synthetic pyrethroid with a growth hormone disruptor that should do the trick. I just need to get off my but and do it.

IMG_20221023_120245987.jpg

IMG_20220829_023146070.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure, I'll take pics when I spray, later today or sometime tomorrow.
Thank you. I don't have a spray with both. And when I use foggers I have to use one, wait a week and use the other. At about $30 a fogger it can get expensive. At least when I pay that kind of money (or more) for a spray, I get multiple applications.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Picked this Satsuki 'Shin Nikko' up when Rick Garcia visited Milwaukee this August. I forgot if I made a thread for it. I'm planning to use this as a progression thread. Today I am removing flower buds. Tedious, and they are still quite small, I will have to do several rounds of bud removal. As more buds enlarge, I'll remove them in later rounds of picking. I want to repot in early spring, so I need to keep it strong. Removing flower buds, and being on schedule with fertilizer will help prepare the tree for repotting. I'm planning on using 100% kanuma. I need to spray, looks like some sort of "bug" is munching on some zones of the leaves. I have a nice synthetic pyrethroid with a growth hormone disruptor that should do the trick. I just need to get off my but and do it.

View attachment 460244

View attachment 460245
Oh yeah!!! What a beauty!

Have you seen the flowers yet?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome tree Leo. Looking forward to updates.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh yeah!!! What a beauty!

Have you seen the flowers yet?

Have not seen it bloom, yet. But, if you have a copy of Rick Garcia's book, "Satsuki Azalea Bonsai, A Fundamental Study", flip to page 12, figure 1.12 lower left of the3 photos of Bob Gould's collection. Half the tree is visible, in the same pot as above, with very pale light pink flowers with slightly darker throats. Rick showed me that photo before I wrote the check. It is not the focal point of the photo, but the photo gives you an idea.

Bob Gould is over 90 years old, and has been selling off many of the trees in his collection. Rick has been serving as a broker for his azaleas in conjuction with Rick's book tour. This tree was one of Bob's prior to my getting it from Rick.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s gonna be a great tree to work and learn on!

I like the way Bob was growing out new branches to revitalize the tree. Looks like you will have quite a number of inner branches to select out in the future.

cheers
DSD sends

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s gonna be a great tree to work and learn on!

I like the way Bob was growing out new branches to revitalize the tree. Looks like you will have quite a number of inner branches to select out in the future.

cheers
DSD sends

I'm going to have to do some judicious pruning of outer branches, There is a lot of interior small branches that are dying off, I assume lack of light. I have not really thought about whi h outer branches to remove. So you have seen this tree up close and personal. We should talk.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sure, PM me with some times and let’s chat. I’ll send you contact info.

Cheers
DSD sends

Attachments

• B5FA911B-E608-4C17-A1F3-44DF3EE964A2.jpeg
    B5FA911B-E608-4C17-A1F3-44DF3EE964A2.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 1F71C107-6563-4D8A-BE0D-69548CD0D079.jpeg
    1F71C107-6563-4D8A-BE0D-69548CD0D079.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 24

fcrdaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm going to have to do some judicious pruning of outer branches, There is a lot of interior small branches that are dying off, I assume lack of light. I have not really thought about whi h outer branches to remove. So you have seen this tree up close and personal. We should talk.
Hey Leo, You have some great thoughts about this tree going forward. I have some personal investment in the tree and would certainly be willing to offer my thoughts if that is of interest to you. If so, drop me an email and we can schedule some time to chat.

Top Bottom