Satsuki

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been looking for a old, large, azalea. Finally found one!

what do y’all think? And what would you do with it?
8B3BA78B-D4F1-489C-B29F-7D37E4576523.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mmmmm Mmmmmm, Good! I see the bones of an exotic design.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree. Great trunk and good primary branches. Looks like there is some conflict with the directions of some larger branches. Wiring those heavy branches is not possible so I would consider some heavy pruning to establish better flow of primary branches and trunks.
4 main trunks growing from the first junction. 3rd? branch goes up then splits again with one coming forward and left. The other part crosses the 2nd trunk. Both cause visual problems. Consider removing that whole large branch at the primary junction. That will leave open the centre a little and reduce the conflict.

Obviously collected from a garden somewhere but no mention of how long it has been in the pot. Need to know that before deciding whether to start working on this one. Azalea roots can grow fast but sometimes they take a few years to recover enough for further work.

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. Great trunk and good primary branches. Looks like there is some conflict with the directions of some larger branches. Wiring those heavy branches is not possible so I would consider some heavy pruning to establish better flow of primary branches and trunks.
4 main trunks growing from the first junction. 3rd? branch goes up then splits again with one coming forward and left. The other part crosses the 2nd trunk. Both cause visual problems. Consider removing that whole large branch at the primary junction. That will leave open the centre a little and reduce the conflict.

Obviously collected from a garden somewhere but no mention of how long it has been in the pot. Need to know that before deciding whether to start working on this one. Azalea roots can grow fast but sometimes they take a few years to recover enough for further work.
I was told from the seller that it was an old import from Japan and estimated at 40 yrs old! But who knows!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Or, as a little more conventional...
az j3.JPG

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yup, removing that singular left moving branch makes for a very dynamic design which is what most of us want. Don't forget to seal your cut when you do the deed. Azaleas don't heal well and are very prone to rot if pruning cuts aren't managed appropraitely.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree with that branch off. Don't confuse good design with symmetry or balance with equal foliage on either side of the trunk. There is a place for balanced, upright styles but also a place for dynamic leaning and windswept styles.
It may take some time to get used to such a dynamic design but it will certainly stand out from all the other 'balanced' trees at a show
Currently with that branch crossing others to provide the left side does not look good. Far better gone just for that reason alone but I think the trunk and branches will support the leaning style really well.

As mentioned earlier that's not the only bit I would like to remove. That whole branch could go and still leave a great bonsai.

I was told from the seller that it was an old import from Japan and estimated at 40 yrs old! But who knows!
There is every possibility that info is correct by the look of the trunk and branches. I forgot it is possible to import trees from Japan over there. Much more difficult for us down under. Some of the azaleas I collect from gardens are around the same age and size.
If it is already well established in the pot you could start work this year.

Top Bottom