Satuski Azalea help!

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Again everyone, I have another question about one of my Satsuki Azaleas. I purchased this Azalea about 3 months ago and it had been previously pruned. The owner mentioned it needed a repotting, so after I received the plant I repotted it in this pot (which is larger than the one it was sent to me in). The soil composition I used is 3 parts kanuma 1 part Spagnum moss. Since then it basically hasn't done anything, no new growth, buds, or even leaves. I removed a little bit of bark to make sure it was still alive and everything is green underneath. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_102900.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102900.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200405_102904.jpg
    IMG_20200405_102904.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 66

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You said you repotted it, how well did you incorporate the new soil into the old soil? How did the roots look? Were they black and free falling or a firm clump similar looking to steel wool? After repotting did this tree go back out into full sun?

If the new soil (that may be different from the old soil) isn't worked in thoroughly into the root ball what happens is when you go to water it just flows around the old root ball and into the new looser soil. So you think you just watered the tree but it really didn't receive much water at all.

Do you have any pictures of the tree prior to repotting?

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ok Mr Wonderful I am located in North Carolina. Tiki, soil around it was bonsai soil and the root ball was a little confined but I separated them out ( there wasn't much roots the pot was very small). After repotting the tree was kept inside until roughly 2-3 weeks ago. The picture I'm posting was the online photo before I got it. However that is the pot I received it in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200405-130134.png
    Screenshot_20200405-130134.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 59

rich815

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In our community common area garden (I live in a small condo/loft complex) there was a corner where the gardeners planted 4 azaleas. One was clearly dying and not doing well. So about 4-5 weeks ago I dug it up (the gardeners were likely going to throw it out next visit anyway), cleaned it up, pruned it of dead or bad branches and potted it up in akadama/lava rock/pumice mix. I trimmed mine down even more than yours, or at least opened up the interior of overlapping branches. Just last week it started sprouting small green buds. I live in a fairly mild area (SF Bay Area) so yours might do the same but need the more mild weather that’s to come in a few weeks or maybe a month or so.

Attachments

• 4C0615B7-97E4-4F6B-9514-BECC1367AEC9.jpeg
    4C0615B7-97E4-4F6B-9514-BECC1367AEC9.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 86B2ACC3-79DF-4636-A4FB-AA8F3BA8A335.jpeg
    86B2ACC3-79DF-4636-A4FB-AA8F3BA8A335.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 35

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ok awesome, that makes me feel a little bit better. The only reason I have had any concerns is my others have new growth sprouting, however, those weren't pruned like this one.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You should go back and prune out some of the extra branches. Where a branch has a cluster of 3 or more branches, go back and reduce the number to two. This will change the appearance from shrubby, to more tree like. You can do it now, before many buds sprout, or you can wait until end of summer. Every year, once or twice a year you should do this type of branch selection.

rich815

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You should go back and prune out some of the extra branches. Where a branch has a cluster of 3 or more branches, go back and reduce the number to two. This will change the appearance from shrubby, to more tree like. You can do it now, before many buds sprout, or you can wait until end of summer. Every year, once or twice a year you should do this type of branch selection.

Good suggestion. I use this graphic attached and while it doesn’t apply 100% of the time for all trees it does remind me of the “guidelines” and works a huge amount of the time. And has been considering actions I wouldn’t always think of or remember myself.

DB663022-5F57-47BE-A6EC-3CEBAC3B115A.jpeg

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For whatever reason, it doesn't look very healthy. Especially the branches on the left, without any leaves on them, that's not good. But some of them look like they have been pruned. A set of branches with only the flower buds left, those could be dead. As for no signs of new growth, it may have been too early for this plant in your climate. But the branches on the right that do have leaves, you should definitely be seeing new growth pushing from the axil of the leaves surrounding the flower bud. The pre-repot picture seems quite a bit older and also doesn't show a fully vigorous azalea. So I don't think your repot did any harm.

I wouldn't have pruned more branches. It makes no sense to me to prune off a branch. Then wait for it to start pushing new growth. And then to immediately cut off all that effort and force the plant to start all over. I get that all those branches you wouldn't want in your final bonsai design. But considering the health I'd say that isn't relevant right now.

Your potting mix should be fine and I would let it grow freely to recover from whatever stress it has experienced.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good suggestion. I use this graphic attached and while it doesn’t apply 100% of the time for all trees it does remind me of the “guidelines” and works a huge amount of the time. And has been considering actions I wouldn’t always think of or remember myself.

View attachment 294659
Rich,
Where did you find that chart? If it’s available for nonprofit use, it would be a great handout for our beginner and novice classes.

rich815

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Top Bottom