Satzuki azalea , to repot or not

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi everyone, I've got a bit of a double post here so thanks for reading .
I picked up a satsuki azalea about a month ago and the soil doesn't look great . The tree is not too bad and I love the shape . I plan to use fine pine bark , peat moss and akadama.
The tree had bloomed before I bought it and old leaves were already shedding and I have lots of new growth . I was planning on repotting shortly after fall equinox but I'm wondering if I would be ok to repot now .

The 2nd part of my post is about a nursery japonic azalea I picked up which was 5 plants in one pot . It was very root bound and it was a nightmare to water so I divided and repotted in some eracacious compost on 15th june . They have all got lots of new buds and I dont know whether to leave them all till fall equinox and do the lot then.

I am going to use 50%pumice 25%fine pine bark , 25%peat moss. I will Also mix some slow release acid lover granular fertiliser in there by miracle gro.

Cheers for any info guys . And I need to take more pics of my nursery azaleas I've probably picked the worst one for pictures 😁

Attachments

• 20200624_203326.jpg
    20200624_203326.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200624_203311.jpg
    20200624_203311.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200520_210000.jpg
    20200520_210000.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200520_210017.jpg
    20200520_210017.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ok I had to add some more pictures

Attachments

• 20200625_215243.jpg
    20200625_215243.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200625_215239.jpg
    20200625_215239.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200625_215229.jpg
    20200625_215229.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200625_215220.jpg
    20200625_215220.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 32

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I’m confused by which is what?

I‘m going to say the one with the bend is the Satsuki....
My answer to repotting that is ok, but I personally wouldn’t go for that media. June is ok, but Late February would be very much better.

Looking at your photos the tree seems to be healthy, what’s the worry?

Keep it outside, Morning light is good and possibly the last couple hours of the day and water it well, but make sure it is damp, not sopping. Put the pot on an angle if you are worried if it’s too wet as root rot is a real thing.

Whenever you do repot, if were me I’d recommend 75% Kanuma and 25% chopped Sphagnum as media vs your proposed mix.

Also, I see slow release fertilizer in one of the photos, that’s ok if the plant was used to it. I do the same and miracid every two weeks. You may want to top dress it with something to keep the moisture in, unless you get lots more rain than Seattle area.

Ok, on to the Japonicas.... Looks like they have have a severe cutback, something this plant doesnt always like.... and they can be a bit tender.....however they are budding out leaves, not flowers.....so let them grow! Just let the leaves form and accumulate energy for these lil guys. Ensure they are only in 1/4 sun until the leaves harden off, then increase slowly to be the same as the Satsuki. Be sure to study up on each of these plants if you have time. Try this link for Satsuki for starters.

Not sure what Ericaceous compost, but I like the sound of it! I use 70% fine bark sifted, 20% rough peat, 10% Soil and toss in a couple handfuls of composted manure, plus some soil from under my other ericaceous trees to help jumpstart the mychorrizae.

Late winter Jan, when you are sure what you are seeing are actual flower buds, remove all of them. You need to grow out these guys for at least a year without losing energy towards blooming.

Second winter, take off 90% of the buds again and start your top pruning if you want to bonsai these. This could also be a potting year if they grow out well next year.

The following year, you could let them bloom one flower for each pair of buds, then Bobs your Uncle!

I hope that helps,
Deep Sea Diver sends

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks for the advice that's some useful information right there. You were correct, the satsuki is the one with the bend in the bonsai pot. In response to your question, I want to repot because I believe it will grow better in the best soil I suppose. Also I am a newb and desperate to get my toolkit out 😁

I will follow your advice on the japonicas, I will pick 3 I will bonsai. I think I'll put the other 2 in some big pots just to stay outside as "normal plants" .

As for the eracacious compost, it is readily available almost anywhere in uk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200626-052036_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-052036_Samsung Internet.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 28

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s ok to be new and ok to want to try out your tools.

First practical lesson then, if it is green and growing well, dont mess with Mother Nature 😉.

My suggestion, leave the Satsuki, then go out and dig up something you can really mess with..... then hope to keep it alive..... and really learn to hone your bonsai and horticultural skills.

Ask yourself, What do you have in NE England that could be fun play with?

Try it, you’ll love it!

Cheers
DSD sends

PS Thanks for the Ericaceous info!

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would repot the satsuki next early spring and use kanuma if you can because it is tried and tested as a bonsai mix. I guess you are in actual England. Then 100% kanuma is fine. If you are in climates significantly more drier or continental than Japan, 100% kanuma probably doesn't retain enough water. And you would mix in sphagnum or peat.

Those that you chopped up, they are in the ground and budding. Leave them there for a couple of years. Why not? They grow faster there. And azalea don't need their root systems to be restricted for them to develop a fine root system for a bonsai pot. Just prune them again once the new growth starts to cause reverse raper and just refine your design more. Then pot them up when they are ready.

Top Bottom