Save this tree.... save my marriage.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usually I'm not sentimental about my trees, but my wife bought me this tree four year ago for our 30th anniversary. I've been away for several weeks and returned to find the tree lacking vigor, with some yellowing branches and some die back. It's been well watered (perhaps too well). Any one have any suggestions to save this tree and save my marriage?

Attachments

• Juni1.jpg
    Juni1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 153
  • Juni2.jpg
    Juni2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 133
  • Juni3.jpg
    Juni3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 110
  • juni4.jpg
    juni4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 104

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Usually I'm not sentimental about my trees, but my wife bought me this tree four year ago for our 30th anniversary. I've been away for several weeks and returned to find the tree lacking vigor, with some yellowing branches and some die back. It's been well watered (perhaps too well). Any one have any suggestions to save this tree and save my marriage?

The tree doesn't look too far gone, so good horticulture going forward should do the trick. Water appropriately, obviously, and check for spider mites. I always keep my junipers in as much sun as I can give them, too...whether that is a good idea in your climate, I don't know. I'm not sure what your fert regimen is, but I would continue to feed but very lightly...maybe a half strength dose of fish emulsion every few weeks. Feel free to remove the yellow foliage, but no pruning or wiring until the tree is growing strongly again. Good luck.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What Dave said for the tree, diamonds for the marriage. :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Tree looks healthy still, I won't lose sleep over it.

Re: your marriage, if it hinges on the survival of this tree (or any tree)...it is not worth keeping. LOL :p Just joking my friend. ;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think I'd treat it about like Dave suggested. I'd be inclined to give it some afternoon shade, keep the soil a bit drier, and mist foliage a few times a day. Rub out the yellow stuff, treat it with some fungicides and insecticides as appropriate and baby it through the rest of the hot season. It will probably be fine.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your suggestions. I've done pretty much all the suggestions made:
1) Check for mites (I did have a juniper that died of mites ealier this year so that was the first thing I checked for.
2) I have slow release fertilizer from Dallas Bonsai in the soil.
3) It gets plenty of sun.

I'm wondering if it needs a repot?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for your suggestions. I've done pretty much all the suggestions made:
1) Check for mites (I did have a juniper that died of mites ealier this year so that was the first thing I checked for.
2) I have slow release fertilizer from Dallas Bonsai in the soil.
3) It gets plenty of sun.

I'm wondering if it needs a repot?[/QUOTE]

You're the best judge of this. How long ago was it repotted, what is the soil like and is it fast draining? It may need a repot but I'd hold off for more appropriate time of year.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I would put it in light shade for now. California might be hot. I am in Africa and keep all my junipers all the time...under 30% shade.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Repot????? Not the best time of year, and the tree doesn't look that bad. If you were to mrepot, do as little root cutting as possible, and go to a larger -- temporary -- pot.

I wonder, though . . . you say Central California COAST. Are you close enough to the coast that salt spray/mist could be reaching the foliage?

Or, are you where the tree has been buffeted by those scorching Santa Anna winds?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repot????? Not the best time of year, and the tree doesn't look that bad. If you were to mrepot, do as little root cutting as possible, and go to a larger -- temporary -- pot.

I wonder, though . . . you say Central California COAST. Are you close enough to the coast that salt spray/mist could be reaching the foliage?

Or, are you where the tree has been buffeted by those scorching Santa Anna winds?

Thanks for the suggestions. No, I don't live too close to the coast (six miles away). However, the weather is moderate enough that junipers can be worked on anytime of the year, but I agree that very little root pruning should be done.

PS I'm impressed that even though you live on the East Coast you are familiar with CA's Santa Ana winds.

Top Bottom