Saved Ficus

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just saved a ficus from the trash can at work. Been in the rain for 2 hours now anyway. I notice that the root ball is hard and absorbs little water.
Any suggestion how to proceed is welcome :cool: .
Does anyone know wich cultivar and what style I could apply when the tree is healthy enough?

20200820_113711.jpg20200820_113718.jpg20200820_113730.jpg

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a Benjamina. Unless you're in the southern hemisphere, not the ideal time to repot. However, I'd say it's 6 and a half dozen whether it's better to do an emergency repot now or try to get it through the winter. If you have grow lights, I'd do it now. Let it grow vigorously for a year or two, then cut back hard. Benjamina don't always back bud if you don't leave leaves, but if you get the plant healthy enough, if rather do a hail Mary cut then chase the little bit of foliage you have back for the next several years.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, Ficus benjamia. It's going to look ugly over winter. It can be big and ugly or small and ugly. I'd bite the bullet right now and take it back to here...
fb 3.JPG
And, I'd remove 75% of the roots, saving all the fine, hairy roots you can at the expense of the big fat roots like those on top. Put it into an appropriate size pot in your choice of media. Leave it outside in full sun until overnight temps are under go under 10°C, then give it as good of light/window indoors as possible until the same +10° next spring when you put it outside for a summer of growth. Come back then for more specifics. Feed it with any commercial liquid fertilizer between April & September. Feeding in the non-growing season will get you leggy growth.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a Benjamina. Unless you're in the southern hemisphere, not the ideal time to repot. However, I'd say it's 6 and a half dozen whether it's better to do an emergency repot now or try to get it through the winter. If you have grow lights, I'd do it now. Let it grow vigorously for a year or two, then cut back hard. Benjamina don't always back bud if you don't leave leaves, but if you get the plant healthy enough, if rather do a hail Mary cut then chase the little bit of foliage you have back for the next several years.
Thanks

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, Ficus benjamia. It's going to look ugly over winter. It can be big and ugly or small and ugly. I'd bite the bullet right now and take it back to here...
View attachment 324024
And, I'd remove 75% of the roots, saving all the fine, hairy roots you can at the expense of the big fat roots like those on top. Put it into an appropriate size pot in your choice of media. Leave it outside in full sun until overnight temps are under go under 10°C, then give it as good of light/window indoors as possible until the same +10° next spring when you put it outside for a summer of growth. Come back then for more specifics. Feed it with any commercial liquid fertilizer between April & September. Feeding in the non-growing season will get you leggy growth.
Removing 75%, and no foliage at all.... do you reckon it will survive?

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I reckon if you chop it now it will die.

Repot it and it will live.

I'd be leaving it whole and getting it into good soil.

With a pretty decent root hacking.

Sorce
Thanks.
Considering all the above, I think this might be the best option. Actually wanna do as little as possible about it.

This is our 14d weather forecast.
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-20 om 16.47.44.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-20 om 16.47.56.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.
Considering all the above, I think this might be the best option. Actually wanna do as little as possible about it.

This is our 14d weather forecast.
View attachment 324041

View attachment 324040

Below freezing!? Lol...oh...C!

Seems enough rain!

I think the next full moon is right around the corner. Maybe wait till then.

Sorce

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Below freezing!? Lol...oh...C!

Seems enough rain!

I think the next full moon is right around the corner. Maybe wait till then.

Sorce
Yup :cool:
18C = 64.4 F
20C = 68 F
25C = 77F
Today it was 31C (87.8F)
Planning to repot on august 30, full moon on September 2. No time the the rest of the week:mad:

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome find! Seems like you got a plan 👍
Definitely right to repot now.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Removing 75%, and no foliage at all.... do you reckon it will survive?
If you get into some sun now and get some foliage started it will be OK .There is still two months it can grow.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had to repot today. Tree was almost blown out of the pot... so plan changed a little bit. Hope it will survive.

20200825_184450.jpg20200825_184859.jpg20200825_190021.jpg20200825_190008.jpg20200825_190911.jpg20200825_191414.jpg

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a ficus benjamina as an indoor tree (not bonsai). They like light but not direct. So dappled shade under an open tree is ideal. They also don't like cold winds. But love humidity. Aaaahh just noticed your in Belgium. Take it indoors near a window but not in direct sunlight. This tree will NOT survive your climate. Keep it moist and feed it. Do not over water as I nearly killed mine like that. Water once a week just until the water runs out of the bottom then throw the excess away. Although they like moisture they don't like having the roots constantly in water.

Here's mine.
IMG_20200825_204051_hdr.jpg

Best of luck with it! 👌

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a ficus benjamina as an indoor tree (not bonsai). They like light but not direct. So dappled shade under an open tree is ideal. They also don't like cold winds. But love humidity. Aaaahh just noticed your in Belgium. Take it indoors near a window but not in direct sunlight. This tree will NOT survive your climate. Keep it moist and feed it. Do not over water as I nearly killed mine like that. Water once a week just until the water runs out of the bottom then throw the excess away. Although they like moisture they don't like having the roots constantly in water.

Here's mine.
View attachment 325083

Best of luck with it! 👌
I don't see why it wouldn't survive outdoors during summer. They like it warm, not sure how hot it gets in Belgium during summer.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
By the way its not so much the temps that kill them its the cold winds but anything under 10c will kill it. But it could make a killer indoor bonsai. Ive taken cutting this year from my fig which have struck. I will be making them into indoor bonsais.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't see why it wouldn't survive outdoors during summer. They like it warm, not sure how hot it gets in Belgium during summer.
Yes during summer. But we are now right at the end of summer and we have some killer storm winds coming off the atlantic. And Belgium is about to be hit by another storm front coming from the east. As are we in uk. 😭

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also mist it once or twice a day. This will help keep the tree alive whilst the roots sort themselves out. Basically treat it like a massive cutting.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
By the way its not so much the temps that kill them its the cold winds but anything under 10c will kill it. But it could make a killer indoor bonsai. Ive taken cutting this year from my fig which have struck. I will be making them into indoor bonsais.
Now it's still 20 degrees, so for now I guess it can be still outside.
Off course, when the temps go below 15, I planned to put it inside.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes during summer. But we are now right at the end of summer and we have some killer storm winds coming off the atlantic. And Belgium is about to be hit by another storm front coming from the east. As are we in uk. 😭
My trees are protected from east wind

Top Bottom