Saving a Salicaria

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was at a local nursery recently and saw this guy in the corner of a greenhouse. It's not a bonsai nursery so I was surprised to find it there.

20200229_102536.jpg
20200229_102507.jpg

But it was clearly in trouble. Not the greatest tree but don't have a willow leaf currently and really loves these trees.

My daughter and I pretty much bare rooted it because this soil was like sewage. I didn't cut too many roots off, not there there was many fine feeders anyway.

20200229_105341.jpg
20200229_110315.jpg
20200229_112053.jpg
20200229_112937.jpg

I repotted in lava,pumice,pb mix.

20200229_120905.jpg
20200229_120748.jpg

Added fertilizer and kept the same pot for now. It looks deeper in these photos than it actually is though. I kind of like the double trunk on this and probably will keep it. Though I want to bring the canopy down some

Attachments

• 20200229_120737.jpg
    20200229_120737.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is a bit too cold here to grow willow leaf fig. They appear to like warmer conditions and setting up an indoor growing area seems like too much trouble. I understand from others who do grow these that they are prone to dropping leaves when they get slightly cold. Does not seem to do any long term damage, I believe, and it should grow back fine when the tree is warmer.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It is a bit too cold here to grow willow leaf fig. They appear to like warmer conditions and setting up an indoor growing area seems like too much trouble. I understand from others who do grow these that they are prone to dropping leaves when they get slightly cold. Does not seem to do any long term damage, I believe, and it should grow back fine when the tree is warmer.
Mine drops all it's leaves in the winter, even inside. Once outside for a bit, it starts growing again. I've gotten used to it.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Yes they are tropical, but growing inside doesn't have to be too much trouble, although all homes and set ups are different.

Mine drops all it's leaves in the winter, even inside. Once outside for a bit, it starts growing again. I've gotten used to it.

Does it grow any leaves during winter? I always find it funny how ficus drop leaves, almost like an angry "i'm not happy" :p

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes they are tropical, but growing inside doesn't have to be too much trouble, although all homes and set ups are different.

Does it grow any leaves during winter? I always find it funny how ficus drop leaves, almost like an angry "i'm not happy" :p
Nope, no leaves until it goes back outside. Only the willow leaf does this.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine always go into a sulk in late winter. They are simply kept in bright windows in the house. They usually drop leaves by early February, but will sometimes start new growth while in the house if we have a string of very sunny days.

Stone Cloud, yours is a good start for a double trunk or clump style. One suggestion: there needs to be more difference in trunk sizes. Currently the straight trunk is slightly larger, let it grow freely to thicken while you keep the curving trunk pruned to slow growth. Next time you repot, change the planting angle so that the large straight trunk is completely vertical, and the smaller curving trunk leans away from it reaching for light.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine always go into a sulk in late winter. They are simply kept in bright windows in the house. They usually drop leaves by early February, but will sometimes start new growth while in the house if we have a string of very sunny days.

Stone Cloud, yours is a good start for a double trunk or clump style. One suggestion: there needs to be more difference in trunk sizes. Currently the straight trunk is slightly larger, let it grow freely to thicken while you keep the curving trunk pruned to slow growth. Next time you repot, change the planting angle so that the large straight trunk is completely vertical, and the smaller curving trunk leans away from it reaching for light.

Great suggestion thank you! I was unsure what to do with it and I like this direction. It's been less than 24 hours should I change it now haha!

Top Bottom