Saving an Acer Stater Tree

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a few Acer starter trees from homebase a few weeks back. They look to be a couple of years old, they are about 6 to 9 inches tall with max 1/8 to 1/4 inch stems at the base. They clearly were not looked after as they were reduced from £4.9 each to just £0.89 each. I picked them up in early September and they had massive leaf burn, and there were very few leaves left on any of them at all. The stems on all of them are flexible, which to me indicates that they are not dead?

Three of them, show budding in areas over the plant, but a fourth although the steams are flexible, is showing no buds whatsoever. Does this mean its dying? I've fed it, watered it and kept it out of any fierce sunlight but no change in 3 or 4 weeks. Is there anyway to try and get it to make buds? Bring it inside now we have colder nights? I'm just near Manchester so a couple of nights now are around 5C minimums.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

I bought a few Acer starter trees from homebase a few weeks back. They look to be a couple of years old, they are about 6 to 9 inches tall with max 1/8 to 1/4 inch stems at the base. They clearly were not looked after as they were reduced from £4.9 each to just £0.89 each. I picked them up in early September and they had massive leaf burn, and there were very few leaves left on any of them at all. The stems on all of them are flexible, which to me indicates that they are not dead?

Three of them, show budding in areas over the plant, but a fourth although the steams are flexible, is showing no buds whatsoever. Does this mean its dying? I've fed it, watered it and kept it out of any fierce sunlight but no change in 3 or 4 weeks. Is there anyway to try and get it to make buds? Bring it inside now we have colder nights? I'm just near Manchester so a couple of nights now are around 5C minimums.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike.

Sounds gone. Any growth you get will likely die back in winter anyhow.

No inside!

Sorce

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hiya,

Acers are fully hardy in the UK and will withstand temps easily down to -10C for several days. The biggest pain here in the UK is wet winters - keep them just moist so a protected place close to the house wall where the worst of the rain is kept off them is ideal. If you put them under benches I'd check every week or 2 to see if they haven't dried out. In Spring find a place that has little wind movement - the leaves are very thin and dessicate easily - this is the most common cause of leaf scorch rather than sun, Being in Manchester the rain will be your biggest enemy in Winter and the wind in spring / summer. Man U top of the league too - yay!!!

Top Bottom