Saving my first Japanese Maple!!!

Eric H

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The good news is that you can keep both of your branches if you want.
It looks like it is dead but you still might see some growth from that trunk. I have a huge Japanese maple (not bonsai) in my side yard and it is surprising how fast it grows and how tough it is. It might be worth it to keep it around next season and see what happens. If the graft starts growing, you can always grow it out for a bit and then use it for cuttings or air layering. Then, you have your autumn moon and a thicker trunk on the root stock.
Appreciate the suggestion, Mr. Hammer! I shall do just that! I’m more and more on the lookout for tear-out yamadori, and hope to find a yard-tree like yours! Muhahaha!!

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Appreciate the suggestion, Mr. Hammer! I shall do just that! I’m more and more on the lookout for tear-out yamadori, and hope to find a yard-tree like yours! Muhahaha!!
Lol. My tree is a mess. I have been using it for cutting and air layering so it is fairly lop-sided. It needs a good style, and probably a stiff drink.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've seen people buy a particular Japanese maple because of the nebari, and if the graft is high or ugly, they simply chop it off, and have a nice green Japanese maple with a good base. This is particularly the case if the tree comes out of landscape somewhere, and is a relatively large tree.
I first found this forum because I had bought a koto no itu and full moon and the koto wasn’t doing well so I searched for info on google and this forum came up. Well I did what you just stated to the koto and the full moon I had cut to much foliage off thinking I could clone it. Now I can only find full moons locally that are huge… good to air layer though.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I first found this forum because I had bought a koto no itu and full moon and the koto wasn’t doing well so I searched for info on google and this forum came up. Well I did what you just stated to the koto and the full moon I had cut to much foliage off thinking I could clone it. Now I can only find full moons locally that are huge… good to air layer though.
I tried to do a lot of small cuttings this year with very little success. I did have some success with pencil (maybe a little fatter) sized cuttings that were still very active with new green growth. Those seemed to shoot out new buds like crazy. I haven't checked the roots but I have a feeling they are in good shape.
I trimmed the cuttings down to just one leaf per branch and sealed everything up with glue.
I have some air layering going on but I want to let it grow a little longer before making the cut.

Eric H

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lol. My tree is a mess. I have been using it for cutting and air layering so it is fairly lop-sided. It needs a good style, and probably a stiff drink.
Hire the Aussie Bonsai Bloke! He’s always got a stiff drink!!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried to do a lot of small cuttings this year with very little success. I did have some success with pencil (maybe a little fatter) sized cuttings that were still very active with new green growth. Those seemed to shoot out new buds like crazy. I haven't checked the roots but I have a feeling they are in good shape.
I trimmed the cuttings down to just one leaf per branch and sealed everything up with glue.
I have some air layering going on but I want to let it grow a little longer before making the cut.
Wow that’s interesting! We’re they cultivars or the standard green variety? When did you take them? I did some little pencil sized air layers this spring. They were a success.

Top Bottom