Saw for big trunk

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What do you recommend for cutting sawing off a 8-10 inch diameter trunk? I need to remove a massive air layering.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
10" is a big piece of wood!
I'd use a chainsaw too.
A new, good quality pruning saw may do the job make sure the blade is longer than the piece you are cutting. Getting through will still take some time and effort. A bow saw would probably be better for something that size as the blade is longer which will allow better sawing but the larger saw can be difficult to use where other branches are in the way.
I don't usually consider a hand saw for anything over 3" these days.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am not a fan of chainsaws unless I'm cutting a tree down and don't care about what I am cutting into. I would use a bow saw for something like this, as they are cheap and available in every big box store. I have a 240 GOMBOY Silky saw and love it. I haven't used my bow saw since I bought it. They have a SUGOI 420 that I am eyeing out in case the extra funds are available.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would certainly like to see a photo of this tree material. I'm curious about what you’re cutting….hardwood….softwood…..deadwood.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pruning saw that cuts on the "pull" stroke.
Get one with a 14" blade. Low cost, less work than a bow saw...

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would certainly like to see a photo of this tree material. I'm curious about what you’re cutting….hardwood….softwood…..deadwood.
It’s a big liquidambar (sweet gum). Here’s the thread with pictures.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pruning saw that cuts on the "pull" stroke.
Get one with a 14" blade. Low cost, less work than a bow saw...
Thank you

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
10" is a big piece of wood!
I'd use a chainsaw too.
A new, good quality pruning saw may do the job make sure the blade is longer than the piece you are cutting. Getting through will still take some time and effort. A bow saw would probably be better for something that size as the blade is longer which will allow better sawing but the larger saw can be difficult to use where other branches are in the way.
I don't usually consider a hand saw for anything over 3" these days.
Thank you, Neil. I’ll look into bow saw.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am not a fan of chainsaws unless I'm cutting a tree down and don't care about what I am cutting into. I would use a bow saw for something like this, as they are cheap and available in every big box store. I have a 240 GOMBOY Silky saw and love it. I haven't used my bow saw since I bought it. They have a SUGOI 420 that I am eyeing out in case the extra funds are available.
This is great. Thanks for the information.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would do it in sessions with a pull saw, like...over 3 days!

I recently refound my wire saw too I bought for some old layers, they're only a couple bucks at Walmart.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s a big liquidambar (sweet gum). Here’s the thread with pictures.

FWIW, looking at the link, from the leaf shape in those photos this is NOT a sweet gum (liquidamber styraciflua). It is an Asian liquidamber (liquidamber orientalis).

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FWIW, looking at the link, from the leaf shape in those photos this is NOT a sweet gum (liquidamber styraciflua). It is an Asian liquidamber (liquidamber orientalis).
Doesn't look like my L.Orientalis, the lobes are pointier on his. This one I got from Brent.

Liquidambar cutting.jpeg

liquidambar O..JPG

Brent picture from his website

liquidambar O. Brent.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is what it is. I don't think it's east coast sweetgum (which is pretty much all around me here). This don't look like it to me. Particularly the last photos...

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It is what it is. I don't think it's east coast sweetgum (which is pretty much all around me here). This don't look like it to me. Particularly the last photos...
Two leaves from the same tree, one larger than the other. 145E4D69-D0A9-42C6-B372-10EB1CA7E5D2.jpeg

Top Bottom