Saw recommendation?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would like to add a small thin kerf hand saw to my tools. Does anyone have a reasonable priced solution they would recommend? I don't mind if it folds or not and would hope to find something in the under $30 range if possible.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
all of those look like great options, thanks for the input

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Silky saws are the best I've used.

Thanks am glad to hear this, I was swamping last night for BC's and it got dark and I lost my hand-saw, after realizing how much the Stihl handsaw costs to replace I'm set to go back and look for it lol but am going to buy another regardless as back-up so thanks and thanks @chansen for confirmation ;D

@Hack Yeah! , I'd give a 10/10 rating to my Stihl handsaw, thing is a beast with a blade that's <1' long but goes through 4" BC roots underwater with ease, cannot endorse that saw enough!!!!
For any 'real' recommendations though I'd want to know what you were using it for, because if it's for finer work then something like a plunge-type drywall knife/blade is pretty great (Milwaukee's unit at most Home Depots is great here IMO), however if you're looking to cut stuff out of the ground then you may actually find it worthwhile to just use a pruning-blade that you affix into your own handle to suit your particular need, very very quick & easy if you have the power-tools to do it:
20190131_143523.jpg

^that's my baby for BC-collection, lets me make my outside-perimeter cuts with ease before having to bend-over and finish the thing off (my technique is the basic "two perimeters" approach, you kinda gotta do that in the swamp to allow room for the root-mass to come out because [suction? pull?], so it's basically digging your first perimeter a few inches further-out than the 'true/ideal perimeter' so you're able to create a void around the root-mass before wiggling it to get at the roots underneath and, at that point, if I'm able to peg the tree at an angle with a stick then I can use the larger-handled saw again to get under it :D All depends on use-case, different jobs need different tools to avoid wasting time being inefficient! Good luck!! :)

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thin, small..?
Harbor Freight ~$5
This is capable of very fine detailed cuts
1550338012460.jpeg
1550338070773.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a silky fan too, except for the models sound like they should be shipped in discrete brown packaging.

I reckon due to the life expectancy of a bonsai in our care, it will always make sense to buy tools that can be sharpened.

One could amass such a collection of free, one time use blades, I don't think they should be purchased.

My neighbor threw out a pull saw the other day with only one side/size dull cuz that's all he uses. The remaining unused one werks perfect.

There is enough meat left on old sawzall blades to sweep a jobsite for tossed them too.

When Jesus comes back, his bag is going to be half full of half good sawzall blades! 😂

But for real, ask a carpenter.

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I bought the Roshi knife and like it but I buy Silky saws for my husband.

Top Bottom