saw some bonsai on olympic-TV last night

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
dont worry, i am not watching or supporting the Olympics or NFL coming up
(NFL viewership, its about to be like NBA basketball, lost about 40% of viewership,
almost one in two turned it off lol = no money to pay
them millions soon = love me some free market metrics)
but Katherine tappen caught my eye from NHL (big fan)
and then i saw the bonsai on the set so i watched for another 20 seconds

Fake? JBP?

20210720_195711.jpg

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Very cool. Bonsai show up in the background of a surprising number of Japanese TV show sets. At least for the three I am thinking of the trees are very realistic fakes.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a real question: I’m out of the loop, so I’m uninformed. I don’t watch sports or know anything about them. Why are you not supporting the Olympic Games or the NFL?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is a real question: I’m out of the loop, so I’m uninformed. I don’t watch sports or know anything about them. Why are you not supporting the Olympic Games or the NFL?
sick of being lectured during every game, stuffed down our throats, sending sporting representatives to international events that dont even support our anthem
and or respect the flag. they forget that demand and consumers get to decide, and the #s look real bad per those viewership stats. they might even try to keep pushing it lol and people fear they wont understand why they cant make millions playing a sport anymore because of it soon. its wild dynamics. the free market is a wonderful thing and rare in this world, but you have to be careful with it, no matter how much they try to subsidize it. just ask Kodak back in the late 80s or 90s

you may see some headlines about how they got viewers back, or 13% up from 2020 playoffs, but they fail to mention that 2020s #s were scary for them, so a bump up from there is still not good, and that doesnt factor in the entire season #s, just playoffs... worst numbers in like 20 years. 35%+ like i mentioned, almost one in two former viewers worldwide just shut if off, like me.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Very cool. Bonsai show up in the background of a surprising number of Japanese TV show sets. At least for the three I am thinking of the trees are very realistic fakes.
thats neat, ive heard about it in karate shows and whatnot! i think youre right about the one in the pic i posted, they look fake to me and would be quality if they were real

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
sick of being lectured during every game, stuffed down our throats, sending sporting representatives to international events that dont even support our anthem
and or respect the flag. they forget that demand and consumers get to decide, and the #s look real bad per those viewership stats. they might even try to keep pushing it lol and people fear they wont understand why they cant make millions playing a sport anymore because of it soon. its wild dynamics. the free market is a wonderful thing and rare in this world, but you have to be careful with it, no matter how much they try to subsidize it. just ask Kodak back in the late 80s or 90s

you may see some headlines about how they got viewers back, or 13% up from 2020 playoffs, but they fail to mention that 2020s #s were scary for them, so a bump up from there is still not good, and that doesnt factor in the entire season #s, just playoffs... worst numbers in like 20 years. 35%+ like i mentioned, almost one in two former viewers worldwide just shut if off, like me.

Ah, I see. I was just curious

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They do look fake. But are nice. Would be cool if that had more impressive trees on. Like the 400 plus year old treats in the background.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
dont worry, i am not watching or supporting the Olympics or NFL coming up
(NFL viewership, its about to be like NBA basketball, lost about 40% of viewership,
almost one in two turned it off lol = no money to pay
them millions soon = love me some free market metrics)
but Katherine tappen caught my eye from NHL (big fan)
and then i saw the bonsai on the set so i watched for another 20 seconds

Fake? JBP?

View attachment 387539
You have every right to not watch but why are you lecturing us on your political views in a bonsai forum. Aren't you doing the same thing you are accusing the basketball players of?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Honestly real or not real. Those are not high quality trees.
thanks for the subjectivity, but they would be to me and a lot of others i bet. hence why i include 'to me' or 'i think' before statements like that. no offence

i admit i havent had a ton of success with pines, i lost two mugos...
i did notice a pitch pine i put in the ground is taking off pretty well, hoping to pot that up
when it gets bigger

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You have every right to not watch but why are you lecturing us on your political views in a bonsai forum. Aren't you doing the same thing you are accusing the basketball players of?
never lectured, simply stated my opinion and reasoning (it covers a lot of other people too i bet, where the objective statistics come from)

i didnt want people to think i supported anything other than the bonsai in the image, as mentioned

maybe the ' lecture' part was when i was asked specifically why i wasnt watching...lol
the stats speak for themselves though

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Those trees are definitely fake, though I suspect they were modeled after Japanese white pines… I absolutely love the Olympics, regardless of any political commentary that comes with it as the level of competition rises above all the background noise… And Tom Brady is the GOAT!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Those trees are definitely fake, though I suspect they were modeled after Japanese white pines… I absolutely love the Olympics, regardless of any political commentary that comes with it as the level of competition rises above all the background noise… And Tom Brady is the GOAT!
love Brady!!!!!!!!!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
yeah unfortunately with all the new covid crap that’s going on, it won’t be the same. But hoping the opening ceremony is cool. Ive been looking forward to that at least.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey I did some researching and Japan Bonsai some organization is putting out bonsai to get more people in the hobby . Maybe we can see Ryan Neil vs Bjorn this olympics 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂
It would have to be a season appropriate task. Race to water and fertilize 100 Bonsai and they’re all different species and stages of development/refinement. “This portion of the Olympics is brought to you by Akadama”

Top Bottom