saw some bonsai on olympic-TV last night

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In some of the clips I saw today. It seems like some of the trees they are using are still in grow pots. Obviously they are not getting these trees from any of the big nurseries.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
hope everyones doing well.
im jacked up on Kcups and have to register technicians for class soon,
but was reminded of this thread when procrastinating a few mins

ratings in the tank!!!!! as i suspected earlier, this is from 17 hrs ago i believe, first hit on
the net

its so funny hearing all the excuses they try to come up with, because they will catalyze revenue drops with olympics, nba, nfl

excerpt
"This executive said early viewership trends were “disappointing.”

Viewership for Friday night’s opening ceremonies came to around 17 million viewers, according to Nielsen , marking a decline of approximately 36% from the audience for the company’s 2016 broadcast of an opening ceremony for the Summer Games in Rio. Viewership has improved for each primetime broadcast following, but the size of the declines from the previous Rio Olympics have unnerved advertisers, who are believed to have invested more than $1.2 billion in the sports extravaganza.

brutal haha

have a good day (LA Beast)

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's interesting to see the trees on the broadcast. I don't think they are necessarily fake but most likely the "mallsai" equivalent in Japan of unfinished, non-top quality trees. It is cool to see them on the broadcast though even if they aren't comparative to the really impressive ones the country has to offer. It would have been really cool if they hired a top bonsai master to supply a few masterpieces though. Would have looked really nice.
Disappointed that the OP has a bizarre political agenda in posting this thread though instead of just discussing the bonsai.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's interesting to see the trees on the broadcast. I don't think they are necessarily fake but most likely the "mallsai" equivalent in Japan of unfinished, non-top quality trees. It is cool to see them on the broadcast though even if they aren't comparative to the really impressive ones the country has to offer. It would have been really cool if they hired a top bonsai master to supply a few masterpieces though. Would have looked really nice.
Disappointed that the OP has a bizarre political agenda in posting this thread though instead of just discussing the bonsai.
that would have been cool and sorry youre offended. bizarre political agenda = being patriotic and dropping objective statistics for you

cali could use some objective reasoning as well. go Caitlin or Larry Elder

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
that would have been cool and sorry youre offended. bizarre political agenda = being patriotic and dropping objective statistics for you

cali could use some objective reasoning as well. go Caitlin or Larry Elder

Yeah, bizarre because you title your post about bonsai on the Olympic broadcast but you start off by insisting you don't support the Olympics (or NFL, not that the NFL has anything to do with bonsai on the Olympics). Then your latest post only discusses your feelings on the ratings.

You should have just made a political post about your personal, subjective beliefs in the Tea House, which is what you clearly wanted to discuss, instead of titling something about bonsai on the Olympic broadcast.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah, bizarre because you title your post about bonsai on the Olympic broadcast but you start off by insisting you don't support the Olympics (or NFL, not that the NFL has anything to do with bonsai on the Olympics). Then your latest post only discusses your feelings on the ratings.

You should have just made a political post about your personal, subjective beliefs in the Tea House, which is what you clearly wanted to discuss, instead of titling something about bonsai on the Olympic broadcast.
i didnt want to offend anyone by showing support for the nfl or olympics, as the ratings #s correlate to.

also, i never gave a further explanation until i was specifically asked by someone who doesnt watch sports.

thanks for your suggestion but please dont tell me what to do, this isnt europe cuba or cali (MA is overreaching and insolvent in many ways as well) i included photos and mentioned bonsai in my title and original post

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i didnt want to offend anyone by showing support for the nfl or olympics, as the ratings #s correlate to.

also, i never gave a further explanation until i was specifically asked by someone who doesnt watch sports.

thanks for your suggestion but please dont tell me what to do, this isnt europe cuba or cali (MA is overreaching and insolvent in many ways as well) i included photos and mentioned bonsai in my title and original post

Like I said bizarre. You title a thread about bonsai in the Olympics but before you even mention it you are asserting how you don't watch or support the Olympics or NFL (which has nothing to do with the thread title).

If you want to post a misleading title and then bump it to talk about your personal feelings on the ratings, which has nothing to do with your title, don't lecture anyone else on telling you the thread reads as if it belongs in Tea House because you clearly want to discuss your subjective political beliefs more than bonsai on the Olympic broadcast.

Also, I find it funny that you say you "didn't want to offend anyone by showing support for the nfl"...in a thread about bonsai on the Olympics. I am sure the first thing everyone thinks when they see a thread about bonsai on the Olympics is "I'm going to get offended if the OP supports the NFL" 🤣

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Like I said bizarre. You title a thread about bonsai in the Olympics but before you even mention it you are asserting how you don't watch or support the Olympics or NFL (which has nothing to do with the thread title).

If you want to post a misleading title and then bump it to talk about your personal feelings on the ratings, which has nothing to do with your title, don't lecture anyone else on telling you the thread reads as if it belongs in Tea House because you clearly want to discuss your subjective political beliefs more than bonsai on the Olympic broadcast.

Also, I find it funny that you say you "didn't want to offend anyone by showing support for the nfl"...in a thread about bonsai on the Olympics. I am sure the first thing everyone thinks when they see a thread about bonsai on the Olympics is "I'm going to get offended if the OP supports the NFL" 🤣
go get your wet wipes... because if you considered the stats on ratings maybe itd make more sense why i aligned with them and distanced myself from the olympics. you dont align with what the numbers say (im a numbers guy, accounting 8 years for Honeywell) so your sentiment is illogical in relation to viewership metrics

i thought the bonsai were cool though, was wondering if they looked like japanese black pine or real or fake

the ones posted in other thread look real, not sure if the ones in my images are

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
go get your wet wipes... because if you considered the stats on ratings maybe itd make more sense why i aligned with them and distanced myself from the olympics. you dont align with what the numbers say (im a numbers guy, accounting 8 years for Honeywell) so your sentiment is illogical in relation to viewership metrics

i thought the bonsai were cool though, was wondering if they looked like japanese black pine or real or fake

the ones posted in other thread look real, not sure if the ones in my images are
All those are real trees. Not the best quality, but certainly not the worst...They're middlin', like most of my trees.

FWIW, whoever designed the set for the NBC broadcast probably contracted with someone locally in Tokyo to provide those trees. I used to work trade show booth set ups fr major corporations. Plants can be contracted for. There are companies that do that exclusively. Yeah, these trees could be better, but I don't think any major bonsai nursery is going to put their most awesome trees on a truck, ship them to Tokyo, them have them handled at their destination by set designers and crew, or let them be at the mercy of people with free access to them. People get weird around bonsai. The National Bonsai and Penjing Museum always has some idiot breaking shit off of trees "To see if it's real" or somehow magical. It's an issue... The vid from the NBC reporter from the Omiya Bonsai Museum shows those awesome trees and contains some of the best info on bonsai I've seen in broadcast.

Also FWIW, sets are designed to showcase the people on them. Majorly awesome bonsai in the background would be a major distraction for the eye...

and Tony Hawk is The Man. Anyone over 50 who can do this: is freakin awesome...

Last edited:

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
All those are real trees. Not the best quality, but certainly not the worst...They're middlin', like most of my trees.

FWIW, whoever designed the set for the NBC broadcast probably contracted with someone locally in Tokyo to provide those trees. I used to work trade show booth set ups fr major corporations. Plants can be contracted for. There are companies that do that exclusively. Yeah, these trees could be better, but I don't think any major bonsai nursery is going to put their most awesome trees on a truck, ship them to Tokyo, them have them handled at their destination by set designers and crew, or let them be at the mercy of people with free access to them. People get weird around bonsai. The National Bonsai and Penjing Museum always has some idiot breaking shit off of trees "To see if it's real" or somehow magical. It's an issue... The vid from the NBC reporter from the Omiya Bonsai Museum shows those awesome trees and contains some of the best info on bonsai I've seen in broadcast.
well put

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
never lectured, simply stated my opinion and reasoning (it covers a lot of other people too i bet, where the objective statistics come from)

i didnt want people to think i supported anything other than the bonsai in the image, as mentioned

maybe the ' lecture' part was when i was asked specifically why i wasnt watching...lol
the stats speak for themselves though

kneeling isn't lecturing either. I do suggest we stick to bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fun fact 2: These guys made Hawk look like an Amateur at the first x-games. But, since they were real skateboarders, somebody like Tony Milktoast had to win.

https://mpora.com/skateboarding/ska...ny-hawk-then-heroin-murder-suicide-took-toll/

yeah it's kind of a bummer how things shook out but go figure. they knew they could sell the shit out of Tony. Remember how big a deal Danny Way dropping in out of a helicopter was? That was him, right?

Top Bottom