Saybrook and Whiteowl Juniper

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
saw some white-owl juniper with Nice 2 inch trunk and branch movement at a nursery also saybrook.
Will either be any good for bonsai?

Thanks,
Michael

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am personally not familiar with either, and I just went to a couple of nursery sites that I frequent, and could not find mention of either cultivar. Any possibility of photos?

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to guess it was called grey owl rather than white owl. I had four of them at one time, they're a cultivar of juniperus virginiana. The ones I had didn't seem to revert to juvenile foliage as fast as the species typically does but they also seem far less vigorous. I "finished" the last one this spring when I moved.

Never heard of the other one.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No photo, I was passing by on a trip. Will be going back end of Dec, was checking to see if they were worth the time. Both look like normal juniper, the vendor had made tags for the Saybrook (maybe I am incorrect on that one).
Thanks for the reply.
Michael

majohnson

Seedling
Reaction score
Saybrook Whiteowl Juniper

While I don't find much on the Whiteowl, I did find it as Grayowl. Below is a copy of info from Wavecrest Nursery.

Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' - Grey Owl Juniper

Zone 4

Soft, silvery-gray foliage on this compact Juniper. Will grow 3' tall and 6' wide. Sets abundant fruit. Needs full sun. Beautiful!

Specimens Available for Nursery pickup only

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks for the info MaJohnson!
Michael

Top Bottom