Scale insectiside...

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What do you use? Just found them on my brush cherry.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
If it really is scale just pick the little buggers off, then use your normal broad spectrum insecticide (I use Sevin) to kill anything else and prevent future infections.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
As Brian said, you can scrape them off easily with a fingernail. You do have to look carefully, as you may already know, because they can blend in so well with the bark! (Nasty trick! :mad:)

I also like Carl's soap solution for immature scale. (Have some sitting in the basement right now; it keeps well.) Once scale mature, tho, they develop a carapace that sheds insecticides. So you're looking at either smothering them (a spray oil) or a systemic insecticide. I use a Ferti-Lome product with imidacloprid as the active ingredient. Many experienced growers swear by the Bayer product that also contains imidacloprid (say that five times, really fast!)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As Brian said, you can scrape them off easily with a fingernail. You do have to look carefully, as you may already know, because they can blend in so well with the bark! (Nasty trick! :mad:)

I also like Carl's soap solution for immature scale. (Have some sitting in the basement right now; it keeps well.) Once scale mature, tho, they develop a carapace that sheds insecticides. So you're looking at either smothering them (a spray oil) or a systemic insecticide. I use a Ferti-Lome product with imidacloprid as the active ingredient. Many experienced growers swear by the Bayer product that also contains imidacloprid (say that five times, really fast!)

What these guys said.

Reaction score
as with alot of insecticides watch getting in on the soil...

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The Bayer product that also contains imidacloprid called "Tree & Shrub Protect and Feed" is awesome. Since I started using it I haven't seen any scale (or aphids) on any of my plants. This is the second season I have used it. Always had problems before.

jmuzzey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the Bayer all in one systemic, it works great for scale.

Top Bottom