Scale-leaf Conifer Identification

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hoping someone could help ID a tree for me. Found this one tucked away at a nursery and was drawn to the trunk and nebari. Both are very well developed and I see real potential as an informal upright. As the tree had no label or price, the employee working wasn't certain what type of tree it is. Believe it's a cedar. Anyway, agreed on a great price and I had them hold it while I could do a little research to find out if this is something of good bonsai material.

Anyone have an educated guess? Tree is about 6' tall and has a trunk diameter of about 3-4"
IMG_20120811_144414.jpgIMG_20120811_145220_rev.jpgIMG_20120811_144436_rev.jpgIMG_20120811_144423_rev.jpg

Think that's a praying mantis nest in the final picture.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yea, I didn't take a good closeup with my phone camera. I really need to step up my tree ID'ing. Thanks for your input, Dwight and Dav.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea its definetly a juniper, probably a sargenti judging by the color and the foliage although they usually spread more than grow upright.

ed

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Could also be any of a number of nursery trade varieties of J. Chiensesis ( SP ? )

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Really nice trunk. Like to see how it looks after you style it.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
IMG_20120812_195523.jpgGoing to do some bending of the trunk and wiring over the winter then do some chopping in the spring. I've got my plan for it... hope she survives the winter well enough. Probably bury it in a small hole with mulch out of the wind.
Sorry for the horrible backdrop.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Could also be any of a number of nursery trade varieties of J. Chiensesis ( SP ? )

Once I get a chance I'll make an effort to id it. Have to travel for work for a few days.

TheDarkHorseOne

Sapling
Reaction score
Once I get a chance I'll make an effort to id it. Have to travel for work for a few days.

The pictures are confusing me, Steve. The green leaves definitely look scale, but the brown bits hanging off look like more needled. I have a gorgeous, tall juniper in my front yard, and have owned a ground hugging prickly juniper as well, but are they the same thing? Do those prickly little buggers eventually grow scales?

Cornfuzzled.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
The pictures are confusing me, Steve. The green leaves definitely look scale, but the brown bits hanging off look like more needled. I have a gorgeous, tall juniper in my front yard, and have owned a ground hugging prickly juniper as well, but are they the same thing? Do those prickly little buggers eventually grow scales?

Cornfuzzled.

I think that prickly foliage is considered to be juvenile foliage. Junipers tend to create that kind of foliage sometimes. I don't know if it is because of stress or not enough light....which I guess would be a form of stress.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that prickly foliage is considered to be juvenile foliage. Junipers tend to create that kind of foliage sometimes. I don't know if it is because of stress or not enough light....which I guess would be a form of stress.

There are quite a few cultivars of juniper that produce juvenile needle foliage that matures to scale type foliage.

ed

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
There are quite a few cultivars of juniper that produce juvenile needle foliage that matures to scale type foliage.

ed

So the needle foliage will become not needle like anymore and become smooth? I thought it stayed like that, thanks Ed.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So the needle foliage will become not needle like anymore and become smooth? I thought it stayed like that, thanks Ed.

Check post 26 on this thread. Junipers will change foliage over time, from prickly juvenile foliage, into smoother mature foliage. Some do it more predictably than others. A few won't revert, and a few won't revert with constant pinching.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 25830Going to do some bending of the trunk and wiring over the winter then do some chopping in the spring. I've got my plan for it... hope she survives the winter well enough. Probably bury it in a small hole with mulch out of the wind.
Sorry for the horrible backdrop.
Have you decided if you are going to keep both leaders, or just one?

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Have you decided if you are going to keep both leaders, or just one?

Nope. Contemplating a few options...

Once I wire some of the branches and really get a feel for what I'm working with and what would work best with the material, I think I'll be better able to make up my mind. Right now, the prospect of retaining the thickest leader, introducing some nice movement and possibly jinning the secondary leader at a certain point is most appealing.

We'll see, don't have to make a decision now. Just have to keep ther thing healthy!

I have to do a fair amount of research on how best to reduce the height of the tree. Currently too high compared to the thickness of the trunk.

Any suggestions regarding styling based on the few pictures I've posted?

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Check post 26 on this thread. Junipers will change foliage over time, from prickly juvenile foliage, into smoother mature foliage. Some do it more predictably than others. A few won't revert, and a few won't revert with constant pinching.

Really wish I knew what species this was. Guess that's the drawback to digging through the island of unlabeled misfits at nurseries. Once I get some free time, I'll try to do a little research.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My guess would be an ornamental cultivar of eastern red cedar...but also might be run-of-the-mill juniper.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
When would be the best time to reduce the height of the two leaders? To make the tree manageable I'll be reducing the height by 12-18". My plan right now is to wire and lightly trim (no branch removal) this fall and hope to repot and do minor work on the roots in the early spring. I'm sure root reduction will take several repottings; I won't be overly agressive with this first one. That said, would removal of the upper 12-18" of the leaders be something I could do early winter, or is it best to wait till early spring or even another year? I've tried to find some information on this, but haven't found anything that really gives me great confidence in selecting a clear path on which to proceed.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
My guess would be an ornamental cultivar of eastern red cedar...but also might be run-of-the-mill juniper.

I have a few eastern red cedars on my balcony that I collected last winter, but they're 6" saplings. Not a great basis for comparison. My parents have a few in their yard that I can check out for comparison purposes. Once I reduce the height of the tree I'll be able to more easily move it around... Would like to take it to one of Chase Rosade's open workshops to work on it. I'm sure he could help with the identification if I don't feel I've nailed it down by then.

Top Bottom