Scale on J H Elm

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been battling scale on my J. Hillier elm for three years now. I keep it in check with alcohol and a small brush and the tree is doing okay with daily seek and kill treatment. I'd like a systemic that doesn't set off an ecological disaster or trip anyones sensitivity.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Elm doesn't bloom. So wouldn't draw bees to the plant. I wouldn't hesitate to use this. I had scale over winter on my big tigerbark. First time ever seeking systematic. With it not blooming...I don't even hesitate. Any blooming plant I would remove buds to protect bee population. This product worked great for me.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Elms may not have showy flowers but they do flower. How else do they produce seed?
The Chinese elms in my garden absolutely hum with bees when they flower late in summer. I don't have English elms in the garden so cannot confirm that bees are attracted to the flowers but I see no reason why they would avoid that species.

I do use systemic insecticide when nothing else is working but very careful to avoid flowering times. Pretty sure that systemics can stay active in the plant for at least a few weeks so definitely think ahead before applying.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never seen one flower on this tree. I'm certain they do flower as full grown trees in the ground, but not as bonsai.
I was able to completely eradicate the scale on my citrus with the alcohol wash. It has smoothe bark. The elm has smoothe bark too, but lots of damaged areas with checks and fissures in the old damaged bark. The buggers are up under the old bark and edges of deadwood where the bark has peeled back and flaked. I just can't get them all because I can't see them all, so resorting to a systemic. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom