Scale on Juniper horizontalis?

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi all - nooby here. This is my first pre-bonsai tree and I would love it very much if it didn't die. I noticed these white specks with brown circles after I had brought it home from the nursery a few days ago. Some minor research pointed towards a scale infestation so I've been spraying it with a solution of diluted neem oil (approx. 10-12 oz of water, a few drops of neem, half the amount of dish soap). So far, I've sprayed 2 applications about 5-6 days apart. A few questions:
  • Is this scale?
  • Should I change the solution strength or spraying pattern?
  • Any other recommendations to keeping this alive? I had done some pruning of dead foliage and branches last week so I was hoping to do some wiring today but will reconsider if I should just control this infestation first.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 51

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. This is a strong infection of scale.
I think I would use something in the line of insecticide against scale rather than neem oil; But I am always concerned about using oils in the growing season

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes. This is a strong infection of scale.
I think I would use something in the line of insecticide against scale rather than neem oil; But I am always concerned about using oils in the growing season

Thank you for such a quick reply! I read about the issues with neem during the growing season so I've been applying the solution at night, at least 6-10 hours before the sun comes back up. Any suggestions for systemic insecticides?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any suggestions for systemic insecticides
Nope. This is very much location specific. The stuff I get in Germany may not be available in USA> And the stuff that is common in USA is banned in the EU.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fair enough. I'll swing by Home Depot later and pick up some insecticide. How long would you think it'll take for this to go away?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know you are excited about your new plant, but you should take it back to the nursery or store you bought it from and get a refund. You don't want to start this journey with an infected plant.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know you are excited about your new plant, but you should take it back to the nursery or store you bought it from and get a refund. You don't want to start this journey with an infected plant.

I do have a few others that are healthy and this was on sale for about $15 because it "needed extra TLC" according to the nursery. Do nurseries even take back trees that have been pruned?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They question should be, Do nurseries take back plants that they have sold that are badly infected? On this issue I can say that they would from me. I can be very outspoken. This works very well if there are other people standing around. I don't need to get crazy and I don't act angry, I just announce the situation more loudly if I get resistance.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and this was on sale for about $15 because it "needed extra TLC" according to the nursery.
Do nurseries take back plants that they have sold that are badly infected? On this issue I can say that they would from me. I can be very outspoken.
I think it is unfair to demand the nursery to take it back, if it was sold as being unhealthy. And if you do, I would do it in a nice way, not some public shouting. In the end, they did tell that the tree was in need of care.
Different story if this was a full-priced plant; Then yeah, I did miss the bought it a few days ago bit.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think it is unfair to demand the nursery to take it back, if it was sold as being unhealthy. And if you do, I would do it in a nice way, not some public shouting. In the end, they did tell that the tree was in need of care.
Different story if this was a full-priced plant; Then yeah, I did miss the bought it a few days ago bit.

Fair enough. I think I’ll just use this as a learning experience and more thoroughly examine material next time. Thanks for the advice!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having worked in the nursery business for 50 years I do not agree with this. To buy a plant that needs help at a special rate is one thing, but to buy a deseased or infected plant is yet another. I buy bargain basement plants all the time, some make great bonsai. There is an insinuation here of shouting, which I never do. But if I don't get the response quietly, I slowely raise my voice very clearly for others around me to hear. No nursery wants it announced that they are selling infected plants. More ever, having been in the business for most of my life, I would at the very least feel obligated to let the plant seller know that there is a serious problem so that they could take care of the situation before it is reported to authorities which could result in a full blown inspection of the nursery and quarantines. I have seen that happen a few times and it is serious business that could have serious repercussions. I remember one incidence several years ago where I reported some diseased junipers (phomopsis) and the business owner absolutely insisted on taking me out to lunch and gave me discounts every time I visited. He even offered me a job which I didn't need. Of course there was another time when I told a nursery manager that they had necria lesions of several beech trees and he asked me to leave, which I did and never returned. Your call, but if you had bought such a plant from me, I would take care of you. Your call.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Having worked in the nursery business for 50 years I do not agree with this. To buy a plant that needs help at a special rate is one thing, but to buy a deseased or infected plant is yet another. I buy bargain basement plants all the time, some make great bonsai. There is an insinuation here of shouting, which I never do. But if I don't get the response quietly, I slowely raise my voice very clearly for others around me to hear. No nursery wants it announced that they are selling infected plants. More ever, having been in the business for most of my life, I would at the very least feel obligated to let the plant seller know that there is a serious problem so that they could take care of the situation before it is reported to authorities which could result in a full blown inspection of the nursery and quarantines. I have seen that happen a few times and it is serious business that could have serious repercussions. I remember one incidence several years ago where I reported some diseased junipers (phomopsis) and the business owner absolutely insisted on taking me out to lunch and gave me discounts every time I visited. He even offered me a job which I didn't need. Of course there was another time when I told a nursery manager that they had necria lesions of several beech trees and he asked me to leave, which I did and never returned. Your call, but if you had bought such a plant from me, I would take care of you. Your call.

Thank you for such detailed advice. I think I’ll reach out later today and see what can be done. I’m not particularly upset because I understand this is a learning process but I also agree that I shouldn’t have been sold a diseased specimen. Unfortunately, this is also one of the larger nurseries local to me so I would love to not blow up in their face and have to cut ties!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for such detailed advice. I think I’ll reach out later today and see what can be done. I’m not particularly upset because I understand this is a learning process but I also agree that I shouldn’t have been sold a diseased specimen. Unfortunately, this is also one of the larger nurseries local to me so I would love to not blow up in their face and have to cut ties!
If it is a large nursery then you will have no problem. They have a lot vested and I am sure they want only to work with you. It seems to me that you are a pretty level headed person and would handle the situation with diplomacy. You don't need me or anyone else telling you what to do. You just need the facts. What bothers me most about this situation is this; imagine you have a hundred trees (many of us have this and more) and you brought this plant into your collection. That could be a real situation believe me.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If it is a large nursery then you will have no problem. They have a lot vested and I am sure they want only to work with you. It seems to me that you are a pretty level headed person and would handle the situation with diplomacy. You don't need me or anyone else telling you what to do. You just need the facts. What bothers me most about this situation is this; imagine you have a hundred trees (many of us have this and more) and you brought this plant into your collection. That could be a real situation believe me.

Update: just got a full refund for the tree. A sales rep initially said it didn’t look like scale but the manager came and confirmed it was a nasty scale infestation. Next time, I’ll be sure to be more thorough in looking through potential specimens!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is great and I'm certain the manager was apologetic and sincere. That is his/her job. Been there / done that. Next step is to patronize the nursery in the future. Buy a plant, a pot, a tool etc

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update: just got a full refund for the tree. A sales rep initially said it didn’t look like scale but the manager came and confirmed it was a nasty scale infestation. Next time, I’ll be sure to be more thorough in looking through potential specimens!
If you run into scale again, thin the plants foliage to allow more sun exposure and keep in full sun with good air movement. Scale dislikes drier sunnier environment! This works very well if caught early!
They can also be picked off with tweezers to manage the numbers in addition to insecticidal soap.
Good choice to return a plant that is heavily infested!

Top Bottom