Scale on pots?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi all,

Short time lurker, first time poster.

I've recently noticed some scale on some of my trees. It doesn't seem so pervasive as to call it a full scale infestation, but it's definitely an issue. I've found and treated some woolly/cushion type 'soft' scale with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol, and also picked some big, obvious scales off an olive tree I've got.

I've noticed recently, though, that I seem to have some scales stuck to a few of my pots?? I'm not really sure how this makes sense, though, given that my understanding of scale insects is that they feed directly on the plant....how would a scale stuck to a pot feed itself? Nonetheless, there they are. I've also included a photo of some scale on a Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

So, I guess my questions here are:
1) Is this scale on my pots? If so, are these 'crawlers' that I should be concerned will migrate to the actual plants? Best way to treat?
2) Is that level of scale infestation on my DAS going to kill the tree?

Thanks all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7221.jpg
    IMG_7221.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7222.jpg
    IMG_7222.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7223.jpg
    IMG_7223.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7224.jpg
    IMG_7224.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7225.jpg
    IMG_7225.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 66

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the scale on the pots are crawlers, or maybe just confused. There is quite a significant amount of scale on your spruce and you have every right to be worried about it. Even though I prefer organic cures, I personally would drench the plant and soli with a systemic insecticide listed for scale.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a particular tool made especially for eradicating scale, and it has a 100% success rate for me.

Most people call it “Tweezers.”

Just grab each scale between the tweezers and do a gentle pinch, and that scale is guaranteed to die instantly. Repeat for 5 minutes, and you have a scale-free tree.

If it helps, just pretend that each scale is your boss or annoying co-worker every time you squeeze the tweezers.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oils and mechanical eradication both work well but will need to be followed up frequently due to developing eggs and nymphs, particularly those in the soil. An application of a systemic by spray or granules will eradicate them but may require a follow up application one time. Its in your hands so do whatever makes you comfortable. I view the scale I see on your spruce as a serious problem.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I'm not mistaken, using those oils in higher temperatures can damage or kill trees...Scale is easily handled with the pinching/tweezers approach...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I'm not mistaken, using those oils in higher temperatures can damage or kill trees...Scale is easily handled with the pinching/tweezers approach...
You are not mistaken. It will burn the crap out of your plants in hot sunlight.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There is a big difference between dormant oil rate and summer oil rate.

But yes, general rule of thumb is don’t spray oils over 85F.

The beauty of bonsai is you can push that if chosen by moving tree to the shade for a few days.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm in Los Angeles, so temps definitely above 85 degrees daytime right now, which means I'm not gonna use any hort oils on the spruce at this time.

Shinjuku, I used your recommendation and just squeezed those little buggers for all they're worth, then followed up by swabbing a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol over the crushed shells in hopes of killing any eggs or crawlers that might have been hiding underneath.

Top Bottom