Scarified Apple Seeds Sprouted!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The great thing about seeds, is they don't read what we wrote in the books about them. :rolleyes:

For most plants, there is always a range of responses. Take 100 seeds of just about any tree, and there will be a range of when seeds sprout. Some will sprout early and easy, some will need the full "stratification and scarification" process, and even then might not sprout until the 3rd summer after planting out.

Sanding off, either completely or more often partially, the seed coat is an often recommended technique to speed germination for a number of species, especially hard seed coat desert plants like Acacia. No need to do so for apple, but no harm either, it can speed germination.

Apples in the northern hemisphere ripened in autumn, and have been in cold storage since picking. This has probably helped the seed to meet its cold stratification requirement. The sanding off of the seed coat then speeded the germination.

Nicely done.

I stratify seed in the refrigerator, and if it begins to germinate while in the refrigerator, I do not worry about it. The cold of the refrigerator, will keep the majority seed from deteriorating, and the seed will grow extremely slow. Maple, oak, pine seedlings all seem fine even with roots and such showing for over a month in the refrigerator. Then they go directly outside into flats in the sun. No need for complicated indoor light set ups.

Unless you enjoy sprouting seeds indoors, then Have Fun!

Ferg91

Sapling
Reaction score
I decided I would try out the process of scarification on germinating Apple seeds. 1 week from today I rubbed 4 apple seeds along the grout in between the floor tiles until I saw a nice white color on about half of the seed (Didnt take to much sanding). I put these seeds in a damp paper towel, yesterday I pulled them out to see a long root system along with sprouts in only 6 days! After this I potted the Apple seeds in a pot, watered them real good, and today I have got three little sprouts above the soil. I guess in about a month I will repot all of them and hopefully start some more. I will post pictures later!
I read someplace to say 2 to 3 months of cold stratification what in the actual tater tots

Top Bottom