Scary thought...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
For all you BNers, if BT doesn't ever come back, you may be stuck with us BT hardcores and we love to discuss bonsai on most occasions and post pictures, sometimes sticks in pots, but what we consider bonsai...........:)

Ciao,
harry

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I shudder at the thought of No more BT.......
Many good threads of sharing Bonsai.....
Irene

susieq14114

Yamadori
Reaction score
What, exactly, happened over there? I keep expecting to find someone talking about it here but haven't had any luck yet. Did BT go down for repairs or for another reason? Is it coming back or does anyone know yet?

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How bout tellin the rest of us then?

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Trying to access the IP directly takes me to a pre-fab page for a hosting company. Other sections of BT are working like user pages and links. They all run on the same software and database. Just the forums are dissabled.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right before the shut down a very racist remark or two was made about middle eastern people, a person or persons got offended and made some threats, then the forum went down. I don't know if that had anything to do with the shut down, but the timing is right.

There have been reports of a bandwidth problem as well, but BT has a bandwidth problem every month's end and shuts down for 24 hours, give or take. It has never shut down due to bandwidth during the month and in the past, Matt has always posted a notice explaining the upgrade, shut down, or repair, there is no notice this time.

BT has always been profit orientated, with the auctions, ads, donation drives, an old who's who that required pay for listing, and other such ventures. Not that there is anything wrong with trying to turn a buck, but maybe it just wasn't paying off?

Could be any reason or none at all, as long as everyone is well and healthy, it will work itself out one way or another.

Will

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Chat still works... if you want to see who's in chat before you enter, click here first

I'm sure it has nothing to do with a racist remark. There's a lot of hate group forums on the internet saying things you can not believe and they are still up. I bet it has to do with the bloated database because of their policy of images. That soaks alot of server space for a big forum.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I had to guess, they are either switching hosts, or have gotten into an arm-wrestling match with their current host over bandwidth. Some hosts do not like forums because of the excessive server load due to searches. That and large file downloads.

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
actually, there had been a notice saying they were close to the bandwidth limit for the month so they were going to shut down for a few days for maintenance or upgrades. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact wording.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's a hosting problem. Here's what I heard from Matt on Monday:

I anticipate we’ll be down at least one week. The web service provider insisted that the forum be moved from a shared to a semi-dedicated server. After the transfer is completed I’ll be contacting the 12 folks who posted in the Tester thread so that they can check out the site and make sure that everything is working.

Jerry Norbury

Top Bottom