Schefflera (I think) pre-bonsai

• Thread starter Deleted member 18707
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18707

The former owner of my house left this plant in a pot out back. The roots aren't in great shape, but I put it in fresh fast draining soil and I'm going to try to get it healthy again. What do you think - does it have potential for bonsai? (maybe a banyan style?) I hear scheffleras form aerial roots but I've never owned one before.

20150321_140026.jpg

20150321_140048.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tell ya one thing! .....

When you mentioned this one in the other post I thought it was gonna look different, braided, small, house plant.......

Damn. It sure ain't !

This may have some potential. ..I like the trunks!

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks/feels (photo-camera angle/fov?) reversed tapered on most of the thrunks, so that might be a 'challange'.

D

Deleted member 18707

Sorce, I do consider myself a beginner but I have never bought mallsai :)

Cypress187, yeah there might be a bit of that, but I was thinking trunk chops and aerial roots will help. The trunk on the left in the bottom picture, with clear reverse taper, appears to be dead so that will probably get removed entirely.

I'll take some better pics from a couple of angles.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
don't overwater it. the schefflera can go a long time with no water in 100% inorganic soil. I water mine 1/week with 100% lava rock. I have let it go for 3 weeks before with no water and it doesn't mind. if you soak it for several hours it'll come back to life when it's dehydrated

looks like an awesome plant!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First get it healthy, not too much water, dappled sun. Then can be cut back. Arial roots for a banyan style are fairly easy, but must be in high humidity. Keep us up to date.

Top Bottom