Schefflera prune/rooting

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a Schefflera I picked up a while back at a yard sale for $5 that I am going to prune down and would like to see if the tall branches I prune off maybe I can get them rooted? Does the Schefflera root well? Shoots I plan to prune are about 3/8-1/2" dia. Plan to strip the cut end to the green cambium and use some rooting powder then plant in potting soil. Should I remove most of the leaves off each branch when I do this and just leave maybe a set or two of leaves?

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i have had almost %100 success rate with scheffleras as long as the stem were green, older growth isnt as successful. i use a razor knife, clean cut, then dip the end in root hormone and leave a set or two of leaves and no problem. i have used a variety of potting mediums and all seem to work as long as it stays moist. They root fast in 1:1:1 pumice, lava, akadama.

edit: no stripping

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i like dwarf schefflera's. they produce aerial roots with humidity above %70. I love banyan styled trees

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay thanks guys I will just cut and not strip. Appreciate it.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
UD31bf.jpg

Got 'em cut and put into a pot with some fresh potting soil so we'll see how they do.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't stand too close...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They may knock you down because they grow so fast... Remember "Jack and the Beanschefflera"?

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahh got ya. I was totally lost there for a bit lol. This is my first one of these, but you are right, I just got it about 6 weeks ago from a garage sale and it does seem like its grown quite a bit already just since I got it.

Top Bottom