Schefflera rock planting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello!

3 months ago my wife and I welcomed a granddaughter and I decided on a little experiment for her, so I went to the nursery and bought 4 pots of Schefflera arboricola “Gold Capella” with the intent of creating an over the rock planting for her to have once she turns ito a teenager.

I did not defoliate or cut the tops, I just reduced the amount of leaves – especially the large ones –and trimmed the roots, but not too much. I arranged the plants over a rock and secured everything with copper wire. Then I “buried” the result it in a fitting terracotta pot with the rock fully below the soil level.

It has been about a couple to three weeks now and after the initial shock it seems that one of the 4 plants is not going to make it. Here I am turning to you guys for suggestions and advice:

1) Should I just let this one plant die and wither?

2) Should I cut it off at soil level?

3) Should I cut it off higher up, bend the leftover stem / stalk downwards and hope that this is visually turning into some sort of a leftover root, kind of like deadwood on pines?

4) Should I try to carefully wriggle / pull it out? It is wired and this would probably be a real pain and not good for the other plants and I REALLY would like to avoid this.

I am looking forward to hearing from everybody!

Best regards

Kurt

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Can we see it? I've been considering putting one of my schefflera on a rock.
With the information given I would do 1 or 2.
Or 1 then eventually 2.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pic 1: Too much trouble to get one of them out. Question is: Cut short or leave long and try something with it?
Pic 2: This is not sunburn. Plant has rather not enough than too much light.

Attachments

• 3634AA9A-C4DB-43B0-9733-5FBAA71C2003.jpeg
    3634AA9A-C4DB-43B0-9733-5FBAA71C2003.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 4CAECB05-B3B6-4698-B32B-EDCA53BF1097.jpeg
    4CAECB05-B3B6-4698-B32B-EDCA53BF1097.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 30

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sometimes trees will drop extra foliage to match what the roots can support. I’d just leave it be. If it’s just pissed off it should settle in start putting out new leaves within a few weeks. I would only cut it out if it dies all the way down to the ground. Time will tell. Good thing about schefflera is it roots easily from cuttings. So if it does die you have 17 years and 9 months to get one to root in its place 😉

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics of trees meh....

Welcome to Crazy!

Talk of Grandbabies without pictures is Sacrilegious!

Congratulations!

Ought take monthly photos of her with the tree for a double progression too!

Sorce

Top Bottom