schefflera

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Will this work for indoor bonsai? I’m not sure if this is dwarf or not?

Attachments

• 69C12276-8CF8-4AE3-B800-40EE14AFAC29.png
    69C12276-8CF8-4AE3-B800-40EE14AFAC29.png
    540.8 KB · Views: 74

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Okay. My grandma is trying to buy me it for my birthday or I most likely would have never got one myself. But if it will work I’ll let her get it for me. They are asking 30$

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sure!
They do fine indoors.
You can put it outside in warmer months too, if you want.
My grandmother has kept one alive with very minimal care for 35 years indoors... not as a bonsai, but a house plant.

Definitely check out Nigel Saunders' Scheff, it's quite nice nowadays.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Thanks guys! So if it’s not a dwarf it can still be a good indoor bonsai?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sure.
I don't know about those in particular, but in general Dwarf types are not always the best way to go about creating a good bonsai.
While they may have some seemingly desirable characteristics, they usually have a slower growth rate than their full size counterpart and may respond differently to certain techniques...

Just something to think about...

I think the same thing goes for "fancy cultivars" of some species...they aren't the best subjects....not to say that some fancy and dwarf trees can't make good bonsai....but I think I've heard this basically thinking before on the topic.

Edit:
Who am I anyway, steering people away from species....lol!
I have plenty of undesirable trees!

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Sure.
I don't know about those in particular, but in general Dwarf types are not always the best way to go about creating a good bonsai.
While they may have some seemingly desirable characteristics, they usually have a slower growth rate than their full size counterpart and may respond differently to certain techniques...

Just something to think about...

I think the same thing goes for "fancy cultivars" of some species...they aren't the best subjects....not to say that some fancy and dwarf trees can't make good bonsai....but I think I've heard this basically thinking before on the topic.

Edit:
Who am I anyway, steering people away from species....lol!
I have plenty of undesirable trees!
Yeah I think I’ve heard some of that stuff before. I’m not sure If I’m going to get the plant or not. I don’t really need any more indoor plants. Unless it’s a Brazilian rain tree! Lol

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
In my experience, even the dwarf ones grow rapidly. There's no reason not to get it, but that price is pretty high for a random plant. For $30 you can get a pre-bonsai one with aerial roots and ready for branch development.

Top Bottom