(Schillings) Yaupon Holly Progression

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seeing how I had just picked up this tree from @Cable Last month I had planned to hold off on starting a topic on it until after getting it through the winter. However, being reinspired after going over the tree before putting it down for the winter, I'll start it now. :)

Here is the tree at first sight. All i have done to it at this point is watered and cleaned up the soil line.
20191110_113441.jpg

I already know where some of my challenges for this tree are going be (for one working on filling in the side of the tree thats been shaded out) and things that im really looking forward to playing with ( working a killer nebari off that strong trunk).

I was going to hold off doing any work till spring but looking at it again before bedtime, I decided to remove the two pesky neighbors that are over casting the one side. They weren't that much of the overall tree percentage wise, so the health of the tree will be fine and this will allow the new growth we do get on that side to eat up all that sun.
20191110_114037.jpg

There is still one more to be removed but didnt want to remove too much having never seen the roots yet and its not overshadowing anything for now. It will be later decided at repot time. If nothing else it can be trimmed back hard then.

Here is a better shot of the trunk line. Like i said, im looking forward to repot time to see what kind of a base we will be starting with.
20191110_113545.jpg

Seems I took this pic before removing the two on the side but it still shows what i was going for.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im thinking the little guy will be getting a ground layer in the spring after it gets repotted. Anyone happen to know how well these are about putting out new roots?

Top Bottom