Schley's bonsai

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So this is the tree that I was mad about when I got it.
It has grown on me and is doing ok.
I put it in a 4 inch plastic pot to allow it to root better. When it came to me it had almost no roots.
I will not unpot it until 2016 summer. I'm going to just let it recover.
As an indoor grower this is slow and steady.
It is ok with me as I have other hobbies also. Lol

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 85

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Why were you dissatisfied with this tree? I think it is quite a nice shohin.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks more like a very nice Mame sized Bonsai to me. The Ficus Nerifolia is about the finest tree for indoor growing as they are an understory type tree and grow well in low light/shade.

ed

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like it is doing well. I didn't see your earlier thread about being dissatisfied. It appears to have a good structure. Did it not arrive in good condition?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like it's doing well under your care...was it not healthy when it arrived? Was you expecting Nebari under the soil with the good start of a trunk? Not sure what exactly you were mad about. It's unclear...other than...almost no roots caught my eye. Was this a cutting then? I am assuming it was...since you mention an issue with roots.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think Jason shipped the wrong one to her. I don't remember the specifics behind it. I bought something similar when he first loved his nursery a couple years ago. He was making a lot of root cuttings from Willow leaf ficus and potting them up. I assume that's how this came about but it's hard telling.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes I had purchased two trees from him and he shipped two different trees in the same pots as the ones I had picked out.
It did in fact turn out ok after all.
I didn't ask for a refund or anything.
He said he had a bad winter- which I understand.

But now I am happy and growing fond of this stubby
Trunk.

One question though: in summer should I defoliate? I would like to because when it came to me it had very small leaves. Or should I wait one more season and just let it be happy?

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They will have big leaves growing under lights compared to growing outside. Defoliation will make new ones grow back and look smaller, but eventually they will enlarge to the regular size. I wouldn't defoliate if it were mine. I would try to let it grow then cut it back repeatedly (hedging).

Last edited:

dlogs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That tree is looking good so far. Great potential. If you ever wanna part with it PM me.

Last edited:

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
First off, I don't grow indoors, so anything I say is based solely on my experiences.

Salicaria honestly don't need much roots to thrive. I have a few cuttings I started that have been without a pot or soil for a few months now and are doing fine. I even have a handful good size trunks that are growing the same way. If the roots aren't rotting, don't be worried about a lack of fine feeders like you'd want to see on a pine or maple.

Your up-potting idea sounds fine, but honestly, the tree has already recovered and you can tell by the color and health of the foliage. Salicaria is a very strong tree and like I already said....they don't need much roots.

I would defoliate as soon as your spring season begins. The new leaves that come in will be small and will grow to full length if you don't prune them. If you want to keep small leaves, cut the terminal bud when the leaf reaches the desired size; it stops the leaf from continuing growth and will cause the tree to backbud as well. To keep the leaves in scale with shohin and mame, generally allow the branch to extend 4 nodes and cut back to 2 rather than allowing it to grow 6-8 nodes before pruning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom