School me on mixing my own

Need2Tinker

Seedling
Reaction score
Ive been researching soil for what seems like an eternity... I have decided that i would like to mix my own from here on out. I ordered this http://www.weetree.com/bonsai-soil/bonsai-soil-professional-boons-2-gal/ to get my recent tree into a pot and out of the sludge its currently in.
My main question is, with all this kitty litter talk, oil absorbent, etc that is supposed to be a replacement for the akadama, should i just bite the bullet and buy a big bag of akadama or is there truly a good replacement for it? I can not seem to find a decent answer so i came here knowing you guys would steer me in the right direction!

Also could some of you post links to the products you use to create your own mix, im in the US so links for US is what i prefer. I dont have an issue spending the money on the akadama but if there is a reasonable, proven replacement, id like some input on that! Im still super green in the bonsai world so anything helps.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use pumice as the primary part of my mix instead of acadama. I buy it in big bags (60 lbs or so). I get it at Orange County Farm Supply.

pso700a.jpg

Where are you in Oregon? These guys are in Portland.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need2tunker I just use lava chips and sifted pine bark for anything. There are a tons of threads about soil here do a search, soil threads are known to bring out the best in the responders ....:p But in all reality you could grow a tree in ground glass if it pleased you, you would just have to be careful to keep it properly hydrated and well fed. The key is to find what works better in your area, do your plants dry out quick like mine do in the summer in Ohio and when I winter in Florida or are they in need or really quick draining soil do to a wet environment like say a enthusiast from Washington state would experience.I have seen plenty people here from oregon so either do a search here, contact a club in your local area or wait for a member from your area to chime in.

ed

Need2Tinker

Seedling
Reaction score
Need2tunker I just use lava chips and sifted pine bark for anything. There are a tons of threads about soil here do a search, soil threads are known to bring out the best in the responders ....:p But in all reality you could grow a tree in ground glass if it pleased you, you would just have to be careful to keep it properly hydrated and well fed. The key is to find what works better in your area, do your plants dry out quick like mine do in the summer in Ohio and when I winter in Florida or are they in need or really quick draining soil do to a wet environment like say a enthusiast from Washington state would experience.I have seen plenty people here from oregon so either do a search here, contact a club in your local area or wait for a member from your area to chime in.

ed

I kind of prepared myself for a lashing and some interesting input :) Im assuming ill need a quick draining mixture due to the amount of rain we get here in Portland. Thanks for the advice and help Ed!

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't forget to sift the small particles (fines) out of whatever you buy to go into your mix. Nothing slows down drainage like a compacted slurry of pumice/pine/etc. dust. :)

Not to get caught up in a rant, but I'm going to start mixing my own this spring. I'm stunned the local bonsai nursery sells soil with so much tiny particulate. I got a soil sieve and ran it through. Lost about 20%. I can't believe a pro bonsai place wouldn't bother to sift (apparently at all) the soil they sell, especially with the price they charge for it.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Ever hear the expression, if it ain't broke, you don't have to fix it. Yes akadama can be hard to find in some areas and because of that expensve. I've wasted years substituting various other media and am happy to use equal parts of akadama, volcanic rock and pummice. I also slip in about 10% of that mix with additional horticultural charcoal. I'm done playng with soil mixes as i have other interests that I can use that time for.
Had this topic come up this afternoon as i worked up at the former weyerhauser bonsai display, Now the pacific bonsai museum. The curator just order a pallet of akadama for use this spring.
With my yamadori, I like 80% pummice and about 10-20% bark as the media to establish them from being dug to ready to be potted up. ( for me that's 2 years).
Pretty strong sentiment, but there's a good reason for it.

Need2Tinker

Seedling
Reaction score
Ever hear the expression, if it ain't broke, you don't have to fix it. Yes akadama can be hard to find in some areas and because of that expensve. I've wasted years substituting various other media and am happy to use equal parts of akadama, volcanic rock and pummice. I also slip in about 10% of that mix with additional horticultural charcoal. I'm done playng with soil mixes as i have other interests that I can use that time for.
Had this topic come up this afternoon as i worked up at the former weyerhauser bonsai display, Now the pacific bonsai museum. The curator just order a pallet of akadama for use this spring.
With my yamadori, I like 80% pummice and about 10-20% bark as the media to establish them from being dug to ready to be potted up. ( for me that's 2 years).
Pretty strong sentiment, but there's a good reason for it.

That's perfect man! Exactly what I am looking for. Someone who has tried others and also has experience with akadama. The cost for me isn't such a problem as the readily availability. I only have 4 trees right now so I shouldn't need much. I just wanted to know if there is a good substitute or if I should just order the akadama. I was the same way with my reef tanks. If a WaveMaker was triple the cost of others but it worked and made sense to buy it, I bought it, but if another did the exact same thing for a 3rd of the cost I'd give it a whirl!
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone.

Top Bottom