Schools (ficus) out for the summer

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What is the string out the bottom of the pots? A wick?

Do you have any Ficus burtt-davyi?

Yes, rayon mop strand for the winter tank.

I don’t think I have burtt-davyi. Mostly Benjamina (Too little, Christine as well as braided houseplant variety), a few salicifolia.

There are a couple unknown (to me) species, mother/cutting from the same mallsai gift that could be burtt-davyi based on some leaf photos. I’ll try to get a shot of them together tomorrow. They are developing ok, but their habit tends to be quite vertical. I keep cutting them back and they always send vigorous upward shoots to be cut back again.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And mad bottom roots!

What is the indoor system like?

You can have those trees on the bench AND connect them with earth!

You fittin to let em get some Earth?

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And mad bottom roots!

What is the indoor system like?

You can have those trees on the bench AND connect them with earth!

You fittin to let em get some Earth?

Sorce

I had to dig back a ways to get a photo of the tank.. it has been taken a while to get the setup where it is, but I get better growth over the winter than when they are outdoors.. I think partially because I am paying more attention and constant fertilizer. Although I did take a trip to Brazil for a month, and hands-off, no fatalities. There were a couple defoliated, but a big improvement over vacations past.
I am not planning on letting any make it to the earth, except for maybe one of the “too little”s. I always thought it would be cools to have a house plant sized too little for the living room.
I left the roots on this year to see if it maintains some vigor going into the outdoor season. I am overdue for some repotting and may doo some over the summer, mainly to adjust potting angles and maybe to transition to some smaller pots, because the tank gets a little crowded.
E1ECDB88-A740-4D4C-951E-91E229D1EAF7.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice thanks!

Was the defoliate on purpose?
I will defoil before vacation to keep transpiration down.

A large too little sounds wicked cool.

When I did let mine get earth, I tore em out haphazard as hell in fall and they went on just fine.

Get that earth! Growth is amazing!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice thanks!

Was the defoliate on purpose?
I will defoil before vacation to keep transpiration down.

A large too little sounds wicked cool.

When I did let mine get earth, I tore em out haphazard as hell in fall and they went on just fine.

Get that earth! Growth is amazing!

Sorce

I do try to trim them up before I go, and top the water off up to the base of the pots. The defoliation was unintentional.. thinking back I’m not sure if I had a total defoliation in there. The humidity + fan seems to keep the pests at bay for the most part, though they are not immune. I actually had some slugs and a cricket that over wintered in there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought it was the roots :rolleyes:
In some cases both, but I put a strand into every tropical pot. The tank photo I posted didn’t have the water in yet, but the is also a water fan, bubbler and an air fan. There is a thin piece of plastic at the top to lock in the humidity.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I started to bring my Ficus out end of last week then I saw how dismal the coming weather was looking and turned around. I'll bring them out this coming Friday or Saturday now.

The weather this Spring has been flipping dismal around here. They should have been able to safely go outside in early May.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started to bring my Ficus out end of last week then I saw how dismal the coming weather was looking and turned around. I'll bring them out this coming Friday or Saturday now.

The weather this Spring has been flipping dismal around here. They should have been able to safely go outside in early May.

I hear you; I couldn’t help but bring them out when it hit 80F last week, but probably could have waited a bit longer.. I’m not worried for their safety, but it probably will slow them down a bit. I’m a couple miles outside D.C., so it could be colder in your part of MD.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I hear you; I couldn’t help but bring them out when it hit 80F last week, but probably could have waited a bit longer.. I’m not worried for their safety, but it probably will slow them down a bit. I’m a couple miles outside D.C., so it could be colder in your part of MD.
Same here. I put mine outside in the shade Sunday because they forecast mid 70's and sunny all this week. It's been cool and rainy. Not enough to cause any damage, just not any better than staying inside, I guess I was just tired of them being in the house.

Top Bottom