SCIENCE FICTION? Opinion please

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a large number of apricot sprouts that are part of a bonsai project. Today I decided that it was time to remove the ones that are absolutely dead in order to free up some space on my bonsai work-bench. But I was stopped in my tracks when I had a look at this one. The apricot is alive and thriving ….. but look what else I found in its pot.

I don't want to remove it until I get an independent opinion, but I've poked it with a stick and it is either growing there or it's holding ground with a very sticky substance. Anyone know what it is or even take an “educated” guess? I don't know if you can see it well enough but it's made up of a jellyfish-ish translucent body and there is an orange egg-yoke-looking thing inside of it.

Should I pluck it out or call Ghost Busters?

Attachments

• Apricot jell 1.JPG
    Apricot jell 1.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Apricot jell 2.JPG
    Apricot jell 2.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Apricot jell 3.JPG
    Apricot jell 3.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 138

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
According to most sources Greys don't have testicles, unless they are human hybrids. Maybe one of Groots species crossed with an Apricot. The beetle larvae sounds like a great theory but not that fun.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
According to most sources Greys don't have testicles, unless they are human hybrids. Maybe one of Groots species crossed with an Apricot. The beetle larvae sounds like a great theory but not that fun.
Well, duuuhhhh if they HAD their balls, then this guy wouldn't have them resting on the surface of his soil!!! Think it through man... SMH

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive got no idea what it is. But Im in favor of leaving it and finding out.
Having said that, Id just like to point out that some of y'all know to much about alien balls. Then again, bnuts and alien nuts may not be too big a stretch..but eating them bbq style? Your supposed to eat'em raw, marinated in their own sauce!

Wow, thats gross and paints a horrible mental image. So glad I only eat fish and yardbirds!

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Apricot jell 4c.jpg I've looked up the alien theory in Grey's Alien Spotters Manuel but it doesn't seem to be catalogued there. I've also checked the latest publication of ETT & M (Extraterrestrial Testicle & Mucus) but nothing there either.

My guess is that it's some sort of fungus or large beetle larva. I actually think it could be a piece of gummy candy but my son (who's an expert on the subject) doesn't recognize it ….. and anyway I can't see how such a thing would have ended up in the pot.

Here's another photo (taken with a flash in the middle of the night) to give a better impression of its size.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you sprayed insecticide in that pot?
Soil before?

Could be a mutated grub.
The tail looks right.

Best put it in a locked container.
Case it is a killer!

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
... Suspect some sort of fungus.
It does have a fungus sort of quality, doesn't it.

Have you sprayed insecticide in that pot?
Soil before?
Could be a mutated grub.
The tail looks right.
Best put it in a locked container.
Case it is a killer!
Sorce
No insecticide … no soil. It is 100% cat sand. Maybe it's wandering cat poop?

I agree about it being a possible killer. Remember ”Alien” - the first one?

*** ”Golly, it's hot down here! What's this?”
>>> “Bubbly-bubbly, pulsate ….. throb …. whooosh!”

It looks just like that

….. Try not to eat it.
Yes Starfox, thanks for the advice. I'm trying VERY hard not to eat it.

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-30_14-23-12.png
    upload_2016-5-30_14-23-12.png
    95 bytes · Views: 93

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Found something similar on a native Flame Azalea. No idea what it is, but nasty for sure. Blooms are pretty though.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rhododendron calendulaceum, is this azalea good for a bonsai culture? Few days ago I found sth similar, took cuttings, attaching a picture. The flower buds were not open yet, but could see orange-red colour inside, trying to ID this...IMAG0896.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a bag of potting soil that does something very similar...

It consistantly grows huge (some reach ping-pong ball size) greyish blobs that look like slugs. I suspect that they are only dark because of the potting soil; If I washed one it may come out to be the same color as yours.

Nasttyyyyyy

Top Bottom