Score on some Korean Hornbeams

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spring update video

I'm diggin' the video thing.
Just took a short video of the growing area for the Coreana's in the ground.
They have all popped out of whatever funk they were in at the start of the season.Well just two of them actually looked a bit weird with the first 4-5 leaves being tattered.Then the terminals shaped up and they seem fine now.Maybe it was the late hard freeze we had as some trees had fully extended buds during it.
Any doubts I had last year with these trees are gone now.I literally ripped a weaker and stunted one out of the ground and off the tile it was planted on last season and tossed it near the deck.It just sat there ,got quite dry at times and then was practically covered with snow all winter.It was dry in the spring and pushing buds in it's uprooted state.So I trimmed all the dead roots from the outer rootball and I planted it back on the tile in the exact same spot.It is growing very nicely.Lesson learned on my part.
I plan to dig every three years.On the years that I perform chops,I am going to air-layer the tops to create more stock.
You can see as purchased from Meehans in the pictures below from last year.
Here is the video link of their present state. https://vimeo.com/96350636

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm diggin' the video thing.
Just took a short video of the growing area for the Coreana's in the ground.
They have all popped out of whatever funk they were in at the start of the season.Well just two of them actually looked a bit weird with the first 4-5 leaves being tattered.Then the terminals shaped up and they seem fine now.Maybe it was the late hard freeze we had as some trees had fully extended buds during it.
Any doubts I had last year with these trees are gone now.I literally ripped a weaker and stunted one out of the ground and off the tile it was planted on last season and tossed it near the deck.It just sat there ,got quite dry at times and then was practically covered with snow all winter.It was dry in the spring and pushing buds in it's uprooted state.So I trimmed all the dead roots from the outer rootball and I planted it back on the tile in the exact same spot.It is growing very nicely.Lesson learned on my part.
I plan to dig every three years.On the years that I perform chops,I am going to air-layer the tops to create more stock.
You can see as purchased from Meehans in the pictures below from last year.
Here is the video link of their present state. https://vimeo.com/96350636

Keep doing videos. This is the future of Internet Bonsai in my opinion.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't know whether you have tried cuttings they root easily and grow quickly.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Keep doing videos. This is the future of Internet Bonsai in my opinion.

Yes,thanks Vance.I enjoy doing the videos.And they add up on my vimeo page.It is fun to go back through them.
I think the videos definately are better to convey a given aspect of someone's hobby.
I will probably post plenty because I pay about $50. A year for the plus plan.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
11 months in ground

Wow,these trees are greedy.I have to drown them in water every 2-3 days.Even with the leaf mulch.Probably since they are planted on 12" tiles.
The middle one in the left row is especially greedy and will let you know in a hurry if it is not evenly moist.
I've read you do not have to fertilize trees in the ground except for maybe a spring application,but I have been fertilizing with Neptunes Harvest fish and seaweed every 2-3 weeks.And I mean drown all six trees in about 28 gallons of fertilizer with a Chapin hose on sprayer.
The good news is they are gaining trunk girth rather quickly.I just peeked at one of them and the trunk has doubled since 11 months.
This autumn they should be huge bushes.
The photos below from last July and today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you mean Korean Hornbeams (?) they are notoriously heavy feeders. Give them as much as they will tolerate.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yup,I am going to have to buy another gallon of fertilizer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom