Scored an american elm

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Great species for bonsai. They ramify well and the leaves reduce a lot. They seem to be pretty bullet proof too. Dutch Elm disease isn't a problem with bonsai. My American Elm is one of my favorite trees.
thanks. Stoked on it and what I've heard about their growth rate. We have great Fall foliage which the tree might show. Heard not to worry about eventual hardcut either.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

But do you not have these en Mass in Mass?

It just strikes me as odd this...
Couldn't pass up for the $ and radial roots

Because for me, that price would have to be less than a solid dollar. Maybe $1.25 if I have 5 quarters on me.

Not trying to be mean, just very curious what that number is for you.

Their availability, and readiness to grow good surface roots just planted and watered, makes this value low for me.

I have been willy nillyingly digging them out of my landscape all spring.
If I knew you needed some, I would have been playing this game of, seeing how many I can cram into a $15 flat rate box.

I would only Hope you find this a better value!

Hit me!

I can find Siberian Elms just as easy, and recently planted some English Elm, which is my Ultimate Fave, so I should have some of those available too, and now that I think about it, I should be able to find a few English Elm seedlings too!

Sorce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Free is always good. For me, winged elm is everywhere but American - not so much. I like winged a lot but would prefer to have American seedlings popping up everywhere.

So, if I found a nice American at a nursery that spoke to me, I would definitely buy.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I haven't seen a ton of elms where I am but might not have been keeping an eye out. I think I have seen some larger ones

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They thicken very fast in the ground. Mine went from a <1/4" trunk to >1" in first season, and that was the season I collected it, in May. Cuttings I've taken have rooted and exploded much faster than cuttings from any other species I've tried, so whatever you paid you can make it well worth your money.
Here is that one in the ground

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
They thicken very fast in the ground. Mine went from a <1/4" trunk to >1" in first season, and that was the season I collected it, in May. Cuttings I've taken have rooted and exploded much faster than cuttings from any other species I've tried, so whatever you paid you can make it well worth your money.
Here is that one in the ground
Very cool and good to know about cuttings. Didn't know they struck easy and ill take some this spring as I'm cutting the one in pic down to 6-8" vcut. Bumping this thread made me say wow too it looks about twice or 1.5 times beefier after a summer in large nursery pot

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looking back at this also saw I tried some cuttings but must have failed or lost track of them...all good

@sorce was right too I found some wild elms after I bought this thing lol

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking back at this also saw I tried some cuttings but must have failed or lost track of them...all good

@sorce was right too I found some wild elms after I bought this thing lol
I take them in the summer, just when that new flush of growth is beginning to harden off. With American elm apparently you can take big-ass hardwood cuttings and they'll root but i've never tried it. Tried a bunch with Chinese elm and they always failed.
I just took heel cuttings, used rooting hormone, put them in potting soil in a wind-free shady spot and they all rooted and started growing before I even noticed that they rooted.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
American elms are fun.
This summer I found an American elm inside of a lilac hedgeView attachment 412209We just bought the house and I didn’t notice it ‘till I went to prune the hedge.
Trying to decide how big of an air layer to make. 😅
Awesome. Good old personal property hunt

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
American elms are fun.
This summer I found an American elm inside of a lilac hedgeView attachment 412209We just bought the house and I didn’t notice it ‘till I went to prune the hedge.
Bark looks very nice, can't wait for mine to develop that. And I'd air layer as much as you can! turn that tree into 6 trees

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
American elms are fun.
I'd just chop that one down to around 3 inches tall and dig it up in early spring.
It can take it and will get you going much faster than a layer will.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'd just chop that one down to around 3 inches tall and dig it up in early spring.
It can take it and will get you going much faster than a layer will.
Wow, ok, I would love to do that!
just wondering how hard of a dig that would be with all the lilacs right there.
sorry @himno24t. Not trying to hi jack the thread. 😗

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool Elm.. I have a few of these mamma jammas..

They cost me 1.90 to pull from public lands, if under 4” in diameter... for under 1” it was like .70....

I will normally see 85 percenr American Elms.. 10 Percent Siberian Elms, and 5 percent Rocks and strange hybrids.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Couldn't pass up for the $ and radial roots. I slip potted up a few sizes and will use it as a shade/garden tree until a hardcut next year. Got the one w 1" base

I hear they grow pretty strong

View attachment 379287View attachment 379288
American Elm are incredibly strong growers. I collected one the size of my pinky 3 years ago, ground planted and it's easily the thickness of my wrist now.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, ok, I would love to do that!
just wondering how hard of a dig that would be with all the lilacs right there.
sorry @himno24t. Not trying to hi jack the thread. 😗
Depends on how bad you want it.
I would head right on in there with a shovel and reciprocating saw or a root slayer shovel.
Elms are one of the easiest trees to collect.
If you have some fine feeder roots left after excavation you're good to go. You don't need lots either. Just a few will suffice.
And as a bonus,leave one of the cut roots left in the ground exposed and it will grow into another tree.

Top Bottom