Scot Pine Needles Color Blue Green vs Green

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I am trying to buy a landscape pine tree that will have a relatively small needles and green in color for my garden. I thought scot pine will be ideal and bought one. Am confused since then. The one attached here is what I bought, about five years old as can be seen from number of internodes and so relatively young. Its needles are quite bluish green. The seller told me its scot pine.

Several other pictures on internet of scot pine are not so bluish and are rather on green sidep1.png.

So just wondering if someone could share some more knowledge on this.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Regards
Nishant

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a Scot Pine. Needle color may vary a lot. I have one that has almost the same color, I'll post its progression.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The cuticle wax seems to have a great effect on the color. The cuticle wax in turn is affected by the environment.

In brighter locations with higher humidity, it tends to go more green.
In brighter locations with low humidity, it tends to go more blue.

High UV exposure means more blue too.
Low UV exposure means more green.

Shaded locations with heavy air polution: green.
Shaded locations with low air polution: green and blue mixed.

Spray the blue ones with neem oil or any other oil based insecticide, and they'll turn green.
I do however have to note that there seems to be a genetic basis for it. I like the blue ones more but they're very rare around here and they seem to occur more or less spontaneously within stands of green sylvestris.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil pH might have an effect to, isn't that how viburnum changes color?

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several young scots pines from various sources. They are genetically variable.

Top Bottom