Scotch and Austrian

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've wound up with some nursery stock I wasn't really wanting to get but free is good. I've enough trouble with wrapping my head around decidous growth pattern and now I have some scotch and austrian pines in nursery containers. I've been reading a ton but have two questions I'd like to ask.

What, if anything, should I do to these guys this year? They're in crappy nursery dirt and have some bar branches/whorls going on but appear healthy. I would've already repotted them but it is late in the year.

Also what correlation do these trees have to pines with more literature such as JBP? I've read that the Austrian can be treated much the same as JBP but not quite as aggressively. The only thing I know about the sylvestris though is they are dying off in this area at a pretty good clip. I've seen that Vance Wood deals with them in much the same way as his mugos repotting and pruning in summer. Is there a relation in maintaining/training the two?

Quite the barrage of questions there.. basically do I trim and/or repot now and is there another training regimen I should emulate? Thanks much!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've seen that Vance Wood deals with them in much the same way as his mugos repotting and pruning in summer.
Grog, Vance will probably confirm this, but the way he treats mugo's and the like in mid summer maybe due to his geographic location. I would talk to him about his regiment in your location to make sure that the same applies.

I would also try and do a little research into why scots are dropping like flies to better arm yourself if the problem comes knocking at your door.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I remember correctly Mr. Vance is in Michigan which is not terribly unlike our climate. I wonder if Mr. Chris down in Kansas would have any input. Hopefully he'll see this and resopnd if so.

As to what's whooping on the Scotch pine it's called pine wilt nematode according to some of the local nursery and Iowa State extension people. Ponderosa are also being killed at a pretty alarming rate but whether it's the same cause I've no clue. When asked the knowledgeable people say it's "some bug". Whether that's a parasite, fungus, or well, a bug I'm not clear on.

Regarding the Scotch pine the nematode is said to attack older specimens. Quite a few of the large landscape Scotch pines around here still look good for the most part but supposedly it's just a matter of time.

Thanks much for your input Mr. Tom.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I do Scots and Mugos in the summer because they respond better, in Iowa they should behave the same way. As to the Austrian, which I have not fooled with, the literature says spring. I have talked to individuals who say JBP should be done in late spring after the needles open but I cannot make claims for or against this till latter this year. If the disease hitting the Scots in Iowa is a nematode infestation it should be no problem for you if you use a soil mix that does not include garden dirt. Nematodes are soil born; some are good and some are bad. Make sure the trees are kept up off the ground and this problem should pass you by.

If you can still purchase a product called Captan it might be a good idea to spray your trees with this multi-purpose fungicide, I have found it is pretty good as stopping a fungus that affects Japanese White Pines in my area.

Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't use any garden soil so I should be good on that part but I'm going to have to get them up off the ground. Probably not a bad idea with most of the trees regardless for better drainage. Thanks for all the advice, especially the fungicidal tip as I've no clue on any specific brands or types. Good luck keeping those JWP's going strong!

Top Bottom