Scots and Mugo starters Video

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is a Vedio record of the Scots and Mugo Pines I picked up to develop for resale in the summer club meetings. Among the Scots you will see many of the same problems we have discussed in one of the threads on this site just recently.

[video=youtube_share;ccFdv-W9SjI]http://youtu.be/ccFdv-W9SjI[/video]

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Vance! It's really helpful to actually see what everyone is writting about. Makes much more sense. Very helpful in trying to grasp pine growth and development. I'll be following along for sure.

-Chad

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Next time you should yell back at that lady on video and tell her to shut the hell up! Hahaha. That would be some funny stuff.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Next time you should yell back at that lady on video and tell her to shut the hell up! Hahaha. That would be some funny stuff.

I have thought of naming my business the Yelling Lady Bonsai Company, but then of course you have the motor cycles and muscle cars zipping down the highway. Wait till airport flight patterns take the planes over the house.

gjantzer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
any chance you can put a quick video together showing how to deal with the mugo pine in the early stages to address the "knuckle" early? I have a couple of Mugo's in the early stages also but I have no idea where to go with them. Thanks.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
any chance you can put a quick video together showing how to deal with the mugo pine in the early stages to address the "knuckle" early? I have a couple of Mugo's in the early stages also but I have no idea where to go with them. Thanks.

I can try but it seems that every time I find the opportunity to start doing something like this the weather turns to crap and I have to put it off. Could you post some photos of your trees, the more the better. Try to catch some details close up if possible. Often the questions are asked of us using photos of trees from two-hundred-yards away under really lousy lighting conditions posted up-side-down in a driving rain. Just joking---barely.

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
My first bonsai purchase, embarrissingly so lol, was a jbp from an online store. Before I knew much. Anyway, it has a bad knuckle that I've tried cleaning the wounds hopefully to minimize it. Not much luck. It's small, only 12"T and the knuckle is a couple inches from the base. The only thing at this point is to try an air layer? I don't have much too loose at this point. It'll never be close to a nice tree this way. Any other ideas I haven't thought of?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My first bonsai purchase, embarrissingly so lol, was a jbp from an online store. Before I knew much. Anyway, it has a bad knuckle that I've tried cleaning the wounds hopefully to minimize it. Not much luck. It's small, only 12"T and the knuckle is a couple inches from the base. The only thing at this point is to try an air layer? I don't have much too loose at this point. It'll never be close to a nice tree this way. Any other ideas I haven't thought of?

How about a picture?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Lost track of this one, I'll post a pic asap Vance. Though I'm pretty sure there's not much to be done.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice video, even with the screaming lady. I like the fact that you have a good sampleing of how not to do bonsai for reference.

I do have a question though. I notice now after the video that all "bonsai videos" come up for selection. I was kinda partial to the breastfeeding movie?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice video, even with the screaming lady. I like the fact that you have a good sampleing of how not to do bonsai for reference.

I do have a question though. I notice now after the video that all "bonsai videos" come up for selection. I was kinda partial to the breastfeeding movie?

I'm good at showing people how not to grow bonsai understanding that I have for the most part had to learn bonsai by the seat of my pants. I have learned what I know by finding out through experience how not to do bonsai. As to the bobbie bar???? I am not sure what you are refering to unless it has something to do with one of the videos on the ending marque.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Ok guys, be gentle. ;) I bought this without knowing anything. It's about 12" with the candles extended.

Attachments

• JBP1-1.jpg
    JBP1-1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 32
  • jbp1-2.jpg
    jbp1-2.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 31

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok guys, be gentle. ;) I bought this without knowing anything. It's about 12" with the candles extended.

How about photos of the rest of the tree? You have photographed a mountain by showing us one rock.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
How about photos of the rest of the tree? You have photographed a mountain by showing us one rock.

lol that's weed cloth and I still need to do a HD run for some new mulch. And it's impossible to shoot at better angles as it's in a corner of the grow bed so at best, I can get one more angle.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
lol that's weed cloth and I still need to do a HD run for some new mulch. And it's impossible to shoot at better angles as it's in a corner of the grow bed so at best, I can get one more angle.

I think he was just saying you should zoom out so we can see the whole thing.

It looks like- from pic one- you could cut the tree off at that first branch and eliminate most of the issues caused by that old knuckle... Hard to tell without seeing the whole thing though!

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the video Vance, I am curious to see what you do with the scots pines as I just picked up about half a dozen myself about the same size. I was lucky and able to find a few with only 2 -3 branches at a knuckle. Can I ask which part of michigan you are from? Do you ever get up to the UP much? Reason I ask is I have a fascination with mature white pines in Wisconsin & the UP and I was wondering if you have ever tried to create this look in bonsai or what species might be able to do it? Have you ever gotten the red bark to develop on the scots pines you have trained? And thanks again for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the video Vance, I am curious to see what you do with the scots pines as I just picked up about half a dozen myself about the same size. I was lucky and able to find a few with only 2 -3 branches at a knuckle. Can I ask which part of michigan you are from? Do you ever get up to the UP much? Reason I ask is I have a fascination with mature white pines in Wisconsin & the UP and I was wondering if you have ever tried to create this look in bonsai or what species might be able to do it? Have you ever gotten the red bark to develop on the scots pines you have trained? And thanks again for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

As to the exfoliating bark of the Scots Pine: The only occurrence I am familiar with is in a grafted Bouverninsis cultivar that I am not particularly fond of. In general I prefer the more gray to dark brown. I have been in the UP on occasion but it is quite a long drive for me and outside of the trout fishing I have found little reason to go there. Eastern Whit Pine do not make good bonsai but the images of ancient old growth trees are compelling and could be dealt with using Scots Pine and possibly Limber Pine.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance, Thanks for the video. I also am interested in what one should do with the "knuckle", both the steps you take to avoid it, and how to deal with the knuckles that have already formed. Thanks in advance for your help.

If a video isn't possible, could you describe what you do in some detail to avoid the knuckle. Seems like there is some interest in learning what you do.

Top Bottom