Scots Pine, “Lone Pine” cultivar, initial styling

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First styling:

3F7F7FCD-8FD9-4A21-B212-66EF5F11C18A.jpeg

both bottom branches got cranked around with rebar, and are held in place with guy wires.

I left extra foliage - I removed about half. It needs some!

thus cultivar was developed by Lone Pine nursery, thus the name. It’s a dwarf pine, lots of buds and short needles. I’ve owned thus one a couple years, and it had contracted a fungus, now cured, that had caused it be weak. Now healthy, it can tolerate a cutback and styling.

I “could” repot it now, but I’m choosing to wait until January. I’ll let it recover from the styling until then.

Boon and I moved the low branch 90 degrees using a long rebar as leverage. It was pointed directly towards the front. We moved it in stages over two days.

Assuming all goes well, I think I might be able to show it in two years.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
From Lone pine gardens in Sebastapol, Ca?

Love that feature branch on the bottom right too, cant wait to see it after a few years in refinement.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice tree and nice work. Was this tree in Lone Pine's pre-bonsai stock. I haven't had any luck finding pre-bonsai pines of this quality and size out there.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree and nice work. Was this tree in Lone Pine's pre-bonsai stock. I haven't had any luck finding pre-bonsai pines of this quality and size out there.
Yes, it was a “pre-bonsai” there. It was in an Anderson pot 5 years ago when it was at Lone Pine in Sebastopol.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Damn Im going to have to take another trip out there. Last time I was there I was only after deciduous, I am going to have to keep an eye out for that cultivar!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see you working a scots pine, great trees to grow! I image in two years it will be a real beauty!

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Adair M -- amazing! I'm trying to get a sense of the scale of it. How wide is that pot, roughly?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M -- amazing! I'm trying to get a sense of the scale of it. How wide is that pot, roughly?
The pot is 16 inches wide. The span of the tree side to side is 36 inches. (Too wide, but as it back buds, it will get cut back). The tree is 16 inches tall, above the rim. It’s 24 inches front to back.

Top Bottom