Scots Pine#1

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you haven't noticed most of the trees I post are number 2 or higher. Most of my first or number 1 trees got ate.
This is one that made it. I got this from Vance the first time I was around him. It's odd kind of but it's mine and I like it.
20160417_152247.jpg 20160417_152258.jpg 2015-01-18 11.41.34.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you haven't noticed most of the trees I post are number 2 or higher. Most of my first or number 1 trees got ate.
This is one that made it. I got this from Vance the first time I was around him. It's odd kind of but it's mine and I like it.
View attachment 104073 View attachment 104074 View attachment 104071
Think tree Michaelsan, think tree. Bring it with you this summer if you are coming down and we will try to do something with it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's coming with me. Along with various other trees to play with. Maybe those scots will show signs of recuperating and I'll bring them down too.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't realize that Scots pine was listed as invasive in Michigan.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't realize that Scots pine was listed as invasive in Michigan.
Yep. They got loose from Christmas tree farms. There are scots pine here 70 feet tall and 20 inches diameter at the ground. They like it here. Perfect conditions for them here. Apparently a lot like Scotland.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is going to be a really nice little bonsai in a couple of years.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is going to be a really nice little bonsai in a couple of years.
Thanks to you sir. I'm really happy with it. I'm thinking about potting it next year. I have a nice plain oval for it.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ahem.

Er...

I'd split it!

To me, the double-trunk don't work - I may be wrong, but that's how I (can't) see it.

20160813_134502b.jpg

The trunk on the right has a very nice movement, it's the one I would focus on.

The trunk on the left is, to my taste, quite boring, but if wired, may become interesting.

I mean that's if you want two trees: personally, I wouldn't care about the one on the left, maybe make a short "jin" while waiting to figure out the best design, but...

... Chop, chop chop!

:p

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahem.

Er...

I'd split it!

To me, the double-trunk don't work - I may be wrong, but that's how I (can't) see it.

View attachment 113963

The trunk on the left is, to my taste, quite boring, but if wired, may become interesting.

I mean that's if you want two trees: personally, I wouldn't care about the one on the left, maybe make a short "jin" while waiting to figure out the best design, but...

... Chop, chop chop!

I started a different thread with this tree before. That was what some suggested. I picked this tree out of like 50 just because of the two trunks. I'll be leaving it as is. It's different unusual.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yep. They got loose from Christmas tree farms. There are scots pine here 70 feet tall and 20 inches diameter at the ground. They like it here. Perfect conditions for them here. Apparently a lot like Scotland.
Actually in-spite of the name most Scots Pines are native to most of Europe and parts of Russia into the sub-arctic. They also grow into Southern France close to the Mediterranean.

The particular Scots you have is either East Anglian or French Blue.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ahem.

Er...

I'd split it!

View attachment 113963

... Chop, chop chop!

Hell no Mike dont split that trunk. This has very good potential like Vance said in a couple of years.

Rick

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Everyone has an opinion. One truth always remains; the two trunk option is dependent on two trunks. I see that possibility and you see that possibility and one day everyone will see it. If you remove the left facing trunk no one will see it, and you will be left with a single trunk run of the mil Scots Pine. Keep going the way you are going and you can always remove it latter if everything goes south.

Top Bottom