Scots Pine#1

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everyone has an opinion. One truth always remains; the two trunk option is dependent on two trunks. I see that possibility and you see that possibility and one day everyone will see it. If you remove the left facing trunk no one will see it, and you will be left with a single trunk run of the mil Scots Pine. Keep going the way you are going and you can always remove it latter if everything goes south.
Indeed. I'd let that left one send out a sacrifice branch somewhere so that it will get fatter than the other. Since it is the tallest of the two. It would be nice if there were some movement in that straight section of trunk, as Alain suggested.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. It would be nice if there were some movement in that straight section of trunk,
I'm going to put some wiggle in it next year. The trunks are still fairly flexible. I need to be careful of bark so I'm planning on putting some wiggle into it when the smaller wires off so I can apply it exactly where it needs to be. That way no other wires will be in the way and I can do it properly. I could have done it all at once but I have time.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your getting some really nice pines going there my friend. I really like it alot.

Rick
I like it too Rick. Looking at it from the front it kind of reminds me of a fiddler crab.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or an alien species like Groot
Vance commented on its growth in 2 years from being stuck in a colander.
It also got knocked off the bench last year. All the soil washed out overnight in a rainstorm. Bare root! That's when I popped it into the mica pot. It never stopped.
I swear. It's been hanging with the elms too long.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have forestadori scots showing the same things. They were collected this year.
It seems they grow like weeds once you start feeding them. Over here they're showing no issues with a serious load of fertilizer. Amounts I don't even dare to use on other plants.
I know they're single flush pines, but I think it's safe to assume they might(!) do a second one this year.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have forestadori scots showing the same things. They were collected this year.
It seems they grow like weeds once you start feeding them. Over here they're showing no issues with a serious load of fertilizer. Amounts I don't even dare to use on other plants.
I know they're single flush pines, but I think it's safe to assume they might(!) do a second one this year.
I don't know about 2 flushes but you will get long needles from heavy ferts. Now it's time to dial it back on this one.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank you Vance. It's quite a nice tree. I just need to rein it in now and get it refined.
I need to get it way more refined. More wire and get the needles shorter and more ramification.
Isn't that the Scotty you got from me two or three summers ago? Bring it with you and we can talk about it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't that the Scotty you got from me two or three summers ago? Bring it with you and we can talk about it.
It is. And I will.
It's been there before and probably knows the way.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Actually in-spite of the name most Scots Pines are native to most of Europe and parts of Russia into the sub-arctic. They also grow into Southern France close to the Mediterranean.

Hi, I live in France. The scots pines grow everywere in France (In the North, near to the beach, on mountains but not to high mountains). The interesting ones for bonsai often grow at about 1000 meters of altitude with dry conditions in summer and snow in winter.
We have the chance to find also mugo pines and uncinata pines in average high mountains ( http://www.ilakeannecy.com/parmelan-randonnee-annecy/ )

I guess you have nice natural places in the US too ....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
New pot.
Plus I cut the new shoots in half to promote even more back budding.View attachment 202042
Hi Mike!

I’m thinking that pine might look good if you tilted the whole thing in the pot do that the tree on the right was more horizontal, and the tree on the left was more upright.

Looking good!

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
This year.
Trimmed and wired out completely
I will probably show it next year.View attachment 258061

It needs some serious Pruning...get rid of all those down growing Needles of each branch, then prune off all those Vertical growing or straight up Needles, this will add some serious defination to your Mugo...cut observe, cut observe, cut observe...……...

Top Bottom