Scots pine 1st styling.

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg Last week I visited my friend Steve who owns a nursery in Belgium.
I go there now and then because he has great material for sale and to help him out with his trees.
He has a lot and most of them are really big so help is always nice.
We started working on this Scots pine that he acquired from someone who had to give up the hobby because of health problems.
After he got it it only grew nothing was done to it.
So a first step towards becoming a great bonsai tree was needed.
Giving it it's first styling and thinking it out will let air and sun get in to promote new growth.
Now the tree needs to grow foliage closer to the trunk and be repotted next year. More on my blog. ;)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great work, excellent foundation laid for a future masterpiece!
Nice material helps too....but it takes a good eye to bring out a visualized design.
Sweet!!:cool:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree!

Help me out with what I'm seeing...

It looks like all the foliage is coming up from that low bottom branch.

Or, does the trunk line above the Jin carry the life line up to the apex? And the vertical "second trunk" coming up off the first branch turn out straight to the back?

If the latter, I think the vertical "second trunk" should be removed.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree!

Help me out with what I'm seeing...

It looks like all the foliage is coming up from that low bottom branch.

Or, does the trunk line above the Jin carry the life line up to the apex? And the vertical "second trunk" coming up off the first branch turn out straight to the back?

If the latter, I think the vertical "second trunk" should be removed.

Looks like there is a branch/trunk coming out of the top of the larger trunk above the jin

Nice tree

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes the main trunk is also going up to the top above the Jin. The straight middle trunk should be removed but only when the tree is filled out and gets foliage in other places. If it was removed now it would leave a big hole and no depth. It goes to the back.
The lowest branch needs to be shortened when foliage grows closer to the trunk this takes time with pines. So it all happens step by step and it is going to be redesigned bit by bit.
Remember it's only a first styling to set the structure and promote new growth.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes the main trunk is also going up to the top above the Jin. The straight middle trunk should be removed but only when the tree is filled out and gets foliage in other places. If it was removed now it would leave a big hole and no depth. It goes to the back.
The lowest branch needs to be shortened when foliage grows closer to the trunk this takes time with pines. So it all happens step by step and it is going to be redesigned bit by bit.
Remember it's only a first styling to set the structure and promote new growth.
I see that it would leave a hole.

On the other hand, it looks like there is a branch on the main trunk that is growing that way, but it's under all the foliage from the second trunk. It will have a hard time growing in the shade of that foliage.

It may be that you have to sacrifice the short term appearance of the tree in order to have a better tree in the long run.

Regardless, it's a nice tree and it's off to a great start!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Sorce

Top Bottom